KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

TLF Code Vault
Greetings TLF,

After reading both of these threads:
Place to deposit source code.
Projects (Post #27 down)

I've decided to start a project to keep code snippets in a code vault. Right now I have just started the planning of it but would like to take the opportunity for members to provide feedback.

Currently:
The way I plan on having this work is using .Net to create the front end of the application to access and view the snippets. I will be using PHP and MySql to store/grab the snippets. As far as adding snippets, there will most likely be a review process that is coded in PHP as well. To use the vault you will provide your TLF credentials and it will validate your login. I also plan on adding a chat feature to it that will connect to the IRC chat we currently have for TLF.

Who's helping develop?
Right now I am not asking anyone to sign up to help develop, but I will. This is going to be a decently large project that would take one person some time to accomplish alone.

Potential areas members can contribute:
  • Front end design (Visual Studio)
  • Front end programming (Visual Studio)
  • HTML/CSS Online design (review system)
  • PHP programming (review system, vault back end, etc..)
  • Beta testing (later stages)

The list could grow but this is what I'm thinking at the moment. Please use this thread to post any ideas/suggestions/etc... I will create a sort of recruitment thread later for members that are willing to help.

I've attached a screenshot of what I kind of have in mind right now... all this is, is a small example of what I'm talking about. It is by no means even close to the final project. This just shows the directory type system I'm thinking.

Who's helped so far?
Ace - Provides great feedback and suggestions
Ghoster - My only beta tester so far :D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This post was last modified: 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM by KoBE.

10-06-2011, 12:44 PM #2
simx

RE: TLF Code Vault
Looking good Kobe! cant wait to use it.

10-06-2011, 02:36 PM #3
The-One
Son Of Anarchy

I would do this in HTML/PHP first and after its stable and working create a program in .NET who does the same thing.

10-06-2011, 02:44 PM #4
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

I love the idea. You should also add a post requirement, I think. Just so people don't join just to use the program, then never so much as look at the forums. I would be willing to help with the .net and test when the time comes.

Also, who will be allowed to add snippets? Will they have to go through someone's approval first?

10-06-2011, 03:23 PM #5
Morpheus

Hi!
I already have a piece made of source code.
Makes the identification of source code within the Ritchbox.
But I'll wait. Good job Kobe.

Great coders aren't born. They're compiled and released.
Expert coders do not need a keyboard. They just throw magnets at the RAM chips.

10-06-2011, 04:40 PM #6
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

(10-06-2011, 02:36 PM)The-One Wrote:  I would do this in HTML/PHP first and after its stable and working create a program in .NET who does the same thing.

The back end of course will need to be done first (for accessing the snippets). But as far as the upload/review system, it can be done after. All it's job will be is to add the snippets to the database. Right now I'm adding them manually while I play around and figure out the best schema to use.

(10-06-2011, 02:44 PM)Ghoster Wrote:  I love the idea. You should also add a post requirement, I think. Just so people don't join just to use the program, then never so much as look at the forums. I would be willing to help with the .net and test when the time comes.

Also, who will be allowed to add snippets? Will they have to go through someone's approval first?

The post requirement is definitely a must. I'll probably set it at 100. I'm not sure how I want to do the adding of snippets. I'm thinking anyone can add them, then an Administrator/Designated Moderator can approve them.

(10-06-2011, 03:23 PM)Morpheus Wrote:  Hi!

What piece are you speaking of? Formatting the snippet?

10-06-2011, 05:45 PM #7
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

(10-06-2011, 12:14 PM)KoBE Wrote:  After reading both of these threads:
Place to deposit source code.
Projects (Post #27 down)

Seriously now? Whistle
http://tech.reboot.pro/showthread.php?ti...709#pid709
http://tech.reboot.pro/showthread.php?ti...713#pid713
Anyway Laugh
I think it's a great idea "Of course Smoker",and i'm sure that the result will be awesome,I support you guys 100%

Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

10-06-2011, 05:56 PM #8
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I forgot about those :D.. forgive me??? I wonder if alecn ever got the snippet manager done that he was talking about.

10-07-2011, 03:01 AM #9
Morpheus

(10-06-2011, 04:40 PM)KoBE Wrote:  
(10-06-2011, 02:36 PM)The-One Wrote:  I would do this in HTML/PHP first and after its stable and working create a program in .NET who does the same thing.

The back end of course will need to be done first (for accessing the snippets). But as far as the upload/review system, it can be done after. All it's job will be is to add the snippets to the database. Right now I'm adding them manually while I play around and figure out the best schema to use.

(10-06-2011, 02:44 PM)Ghoster Wrote:  I love the idea. You should also add a post requirement, I think. Just so people don't join just to use the program, then never so much as look at the forums. I would be willing to help with the .net and test when the time comes.

The post requirement is definitely a must. I'll probably set it at 100. I'm not sure how I want to do the adding of snippets. I'm thinking anyone can add them, then an Administrator/Designated Moderator can approve them.

(10-06-2011, 03:23 PM)Morpheus Wrote:  Hi!

What piece are you speaking of? Formatting the snippet?

Hi! KoBe.
I'm not programming expert, but I can count on to help.
What I have done: :
CSSCodeColor.vb
JScriptColor.vb
VBCodeColor.vb
XMLCodeColor.vb
This post was last modified: 10-07-2011, 03:01 AM by Morpheus.

Great coders aren't born. They're compiled and released.
Expert coders do not need a keyboard. They just throw magnets at the RAM chips.

10-07-2011, 11:19 AM #10
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

(10-07-2011, 03:01 AM)Morpheus Wrote:  Hi! KoBe.
I'm not programming expert, but I can count on to help.
What I have done: :
CSSCodeColor.vb
JScriptColor.vb
VBCodeColor.vb
XMLCodeColor.vb

That would be pretty handy. Make it simpler to read. To be honest, coloring didn't even cross my mind. Huh?