Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
One Of The Best Methods For Removing Viruses From Your Computer

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

06-13-2011, 12:20 AM #11
Styx
Meow

RE: The Best Method For Removing Viruses From Your Computer
Saying this method is "the best" is a little too much. I suppose "easiest" would suffice for the content of the thread.

06-13-2011, 12:26 AM #12
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

(06-13-2011, 12:20 AM)Styx Wrote:  Saying this method is "the best" is a little too much. I suppose "easiest" would suffice for the content of the thread.

Well it's never failed me. So in my eyes it's the best. Unless of course you have one that edits the OS itself, in which case just wipe your main drive and reinstall Windows.

06-13-2011, 12:33 AM #13
Styx
Meow

(06-13-2011, 12:26 AM)Ghoster Wrote:  Well it's never failed me. So in my eyes it's the best. Unless of course you have one that edits the OS itself, in which case just wipe your main drive and reinstall Windows.

That leads me to believe you haven't encountered any "real" infections thus far. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is indeed a great tool, but saying it is the best way of removing malware is untrue. I respect your opinion, by the way. Others should also treat this as a subjective thread. Reformatting is not the solution either. Typical users believe that they're only faced with two options; to scan or to reformat. Pity they are unknowing of the vast realms of what a user can do to fix his computer, probably because it is not in their field of interest, or they are simply plain lazy.

06-13-2011, 12:35 AM #14
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

(06-13-2011, 12:33 AM)Styx Wrote:  
(06-13-2011, 12:26 AM)Ghoster Wrote:  Well it's never failed me. So in my eyes it's the best. Unless of course you have one that edits the OS itself, in which case just wipe your main drive and reinstall Windows.

That leads me to believe you haven't encountered any "real" infections thus far. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is indeed a great tool, but saying it is the best way of removing malware is untrue. I respect your opinion, by the way. Others should also treat this as a subjective thread. Reformatting is not the solution either. Typical users believe that they're only faced with two options; to scan or to reformat. Pity they are unknowing of the vast realms of what a user can do to fix his computer, probably because it is not in their field of interest, or they are simply plain lazy.

The only other option that comes to mind would be doing some custom registry editing, or GP Editing, but that's really only if it changed them up. Maybe system restoring? What, do tell, is your godly way to fix a PC?
This post was last modified: 06-13-2011, 12:35 AM by Ghoster.

06-13-2011, 12:50 AM #15
Styx
Meow

(06-13-2011, 12:35 AM)Ghoster Wrote:  The only other option that comes to mind would be doing some custom registry editing, or GP Editing, but that's really only if it changed them up. Maybe system restoring? What, do tell, is your godly way to fix a PC?

Have you any background on malware removal? That is what I am talking about. It isn't godly, but it sure beats scanners. Registry editing is not a thing to mess with. Especially when tutorials people can post are only limited and cannot and will not apply to each and every situation. That part of the system requires specificity. You seem to be taking an offense to this discussion, or your sarcasm is just heavily accented that my eyes can't fail to recognise.

06-13-2011, 01:14 AM #16
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

You forgot one of the most important steps in virus removal for when you first suspect a virus.

- Turn off your internet :)

Disable your network devices through device manager.
This post was last modified: 06-13-2011, 01:14 AM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

06-17-2011, 11:00 PM #17
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Will refer users/anyone to this psot if they are having problems.

+rep

06-18-2011, 09:36 PM #18

Quote:You can still use combofix

Combofix is not to be taken lightly, as a simple mistake can render your computer unbootable. Use combofix at your own discretion, but I highly suggest NOT to use it, unless supervised by an expert that knows that he/she is doing.
Rank 1 in World 35 in TribalWars.

Tribe: !?!
What's your greatest FEAR?

06-19-2011, 12:00 AM #19
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

You don't need to be an expert combofix person to see what the program is doing if you know how to read it's scripts. My comment still doesn't point out the fact that you can't use combofix to solve the issue I was replying to. I was simply just saying that it was possible, and the tool that could be used to do it. However I did not say that it had to be used by anyone in specific.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

10-04-2011, 03:09 AM #20
Holmes.Sherlock

(06-13-2011, 12:35 AM)Ghoster Wrote:  The only other option that comes to mind would be doing some custom registry editing, or GP Editing, but that's really only if it changed them up. Maybe system restoring? What, do tell, is your godly way to fix a PC?
Given the plethora of techniques that malwares employ to hide/infect/spread themselves, it is impossible to get your finger point out to *something* simply as "Best". Malware Analysis & Reverse Engineering are well estbalished forms of vulnerability research today. Again, some common "registry/GP editing" might help you in certain scenario while unfortunately, most common (please read it as "non-computer-literate") users are unaware of those tricks. Threads like this are targetted towards to "that" audience rather than experts/researchers.

Personally, even a few years back what I used to do was to have a Windows installation in a VM & try any new softwares there. If I would notice any peculiar behavior after the installation, I used to try to get to the root cause of the problem. Often it used to lead me to some sort of registry modifications or stealth techniques. This way I could learn something about the nature of that malware. The same would help me to disinfect known viruses when I was requested by any of my friends after their PC behaving unexpectedly. This could be one way to *fight* (NOT "disinfect" always) with malware.

Whatever top of the line Antivirus/Antimalware/Antispywares/Rootkit revelers/Spam Blockers - ALL of them ends up with detecting the "known" ones. I've seen samples where they pass the scans of virustotal (which employs a series of Anti<XXX> scanners), but still exhibits unusual/harmful nature.

To sum up:
  • As long as you value data, have a back up as soon as they arrive your box & keep them away.
  • If you are inquitive about virus technologies, have a parallel installation of the OS in a VM & keep on researching on it.
  • If you want a hassle-free & sure-shot way of drive out malwares, have an image of your OS installation alongwith all the drivers & necessary softwares encrypted with a strong password (so that NO SMART malware can read out the flat archive structure & inject malicious code into the files within the backup archive, which is often the case for ZIP file viruses) so that in case of emergency you can readily restore them & be the proud owner of a virus free system. Please note that, this method, in no way, ensures that other non-OS files which you might be dealing with later on will have their infections removed.