View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Things Every PC Owner Should Know

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12-04-2011, 05:12 PM #1
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Things Every PC Owner Should Know

Just made it, took like 10 minutes. Didn't prewrite or edit. Just went with it as i went. Which I really need to script next time. xP

This post was last modified: 12-04-2011, 07:18 PM by AceInfinity.

12-04-2011, 06:17 PM #2
Deltron

RE: Things Every PC Owner Should Know
You should outline your topics in the description. That way, us users that are already familiar with CCleaner, for example, can skip that portion of the video. Great work!

12-04-2011, 07:18 PM #3
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

Nice video :) I gave it a green thumbs up.

You said "CC-Cleaner though" instead of CCleaner

Edited your first post for a bigger video too, it's a nice video though

(12-04-2011, 06:17 PM)Deltron Wrote:  You should outline your topics in the description. That way, us users that are already familiar with CCleaner, for example, can skip that portion of the video. Great work!

But that portion of the video already starts at the beginning of the video so no need for skipping, good idea though. Most people do that without video times though and then it becomes useless, so if you put times in there then those times can link to the parts of the video as well. Built in youtube functions :)

Note: btw if your explorer.exe crashes again like that, and it goes back into basic mode without transparency, open taskmanager and kill off dwm.exe (Desktop Windows Manager) from there. It should restart automatically because built in Windows timers (Yes Microsoft uses timers) will notice that it's not there for the visual, and start it back up again. Voila your transparency is back too.

I would recommend turning off any automatic defragmentation though. Defraging your hard drive will decrease it's lifetime as it doesn't need a defragmentation until your drive reaches at least 7% fragmentation levels. Some say 10% but I wouldn't leave it up to that. 7% is a decent level, since most people that even know about defragging your hard drive don't even let it get up to around 2 or 3% before they defrag it.

You can check by sending command lines to defrag to verify your fragmented percentage.
This post was last modified: 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

12-04-2011, 07:48 PM #4
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Any way you could tell me how to get explorer.exe to crash again? That would be a great "30 second video tutorial"

Also, ending explorer.exe then ending dwm.exe doesnt work. xD
This post was last modified: 12-04-2011, 07:52 PM by Predator.

12-04-2011, 08:11 PM #5
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(12-04-2011, 07:48 PM)PredatorFtFw Wrote:  Any way you could tell me how to get explorer.exe to crash again? That would be a great "30 second video tutorial"

No I never mentioned ending the explorer.exe process. I only said that if explorer.exe crashes or freezes, it sometimes restarts you off in Windows Basic mode without transparency like it did for you in the video.

You only need to kill off the dwm.exe process, and everything will go back to normal. (explorer.exe should already be started for you anyways)

After your desktop area blanked out for a second, and you didn't have transparency, what i'm saying is that the only thing you needed to do was to kill dwm.exe. Don't even select explorer.exe lol

After waking up from sleep mode my computer used to always start off in basic mode without aero and I hated it.
This post was last modified: 12-04-2011, 08:12 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

12-04-2011, 09:27 PM #6
Predator
Staff
Moderators

(12-04-2011, 08:11 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  
(12-04-2011, 07:48 PM)PredatorFtFw Wrote:  Any way you could tell me how to get explorer.exe to crash again? That would be a great "30 second video tutorial"

No I never mentioned ending the explorer.exe process. I only said that if explorer.exe crashes or freezes, it sometimes restarts you off in Windows Basic mode without transparency like it did for you in the video.

You only need to kill off the dwm.exe process, and everything will go back to normal. (explorer.exe should already be started for you anyways)

After your desktop area blanked out for a second, and you didn't have transparency, what i'm saying is that the only thing you needed to do was to kill dwm.exe. Don't even select explorer.exe lol

After waking up from sleep mode my computer used to always start off in basic mode without aero and I hated it.
I mean, that would be a cool "Quick Tutorial" to put on youtube. So I'm trying to find a way to make my explorer.exe crash. To show that fixing it.

01-24-2012, 01:15 AM #7
EdenSalmon30

Cool video. Would keep that in mind.
This post was last modified: 01-24-2012, 01:15 AM by EdenSalmon30.