Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Dare to take up GOBIES project?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-22-2012, 02:45 AM #1
Holmes.Sherlock

Dare to take up GOBIES project?
Probably many of TLF-ONLY members are not familiar with Wonko the Sane aka jaclaz aka was_jaclaz. Not only reboot, but MSFN & 911CD owe to this person for his contribution on Windows based systems. This apparently peevish, grumpy Italian has thousands of knowledge packed posts scattered across these three forums. Couple of year back, he cane up with an idea of a project originated by steve6375, called "GOBIES". Quite unknowingly, last year in the month of January, I proposed more or less the same in a PM. While I thought to work on the idea, due to shortage of time, I couldn't even start it. Here is an excerpt of a PM conversation with him with few personal/private lines deleted:

Quote:Dear Wonko,

So far whatever applications / tools we have here to make an USB drive bootable (talking about XBOOT byshamrshamur, Lili by Thibaut, SARDU by davidcosta) - all of them works on the same principle, i.e. - the ablity to include a new distro to incorporate is not there. The logic, which has been made builtin by their authors, the apps are only able to support those distros only. But, is inclusion of a new distro that difficult? Like, today if u want to add samurai web testing framework in ur USB multiboot project - whatever be ur logic, it'll include certain basic steps:
  • Copying some folders/files to appropriate loactions
  • Deleting, if required, some objects.
  • Hex-editing some files to replace occurances of some string.
  • Extracting some files/folders from the ISO
  • Configuring the boot-loader
  • & like these.
Now, all of them can be scripted - either if an app has native support or with the help of some third party tools. But, a script can be prepared for every such distro which we are able to make it bootable manually. Is it a big deal? But, this way, we can expand the ability of the app to support multiple distro by the users also. It sounds much like Winbuilder. Have u got the idea? Does it sound rubbish? Awaiting ur reply.

Quote:Old idea. (anyway a good one, since I had it before you did )
Already attempted.
Project canceled , thanks to ..<content deleted>

Here:
http://reboot.pro/13511/

Quote:I'm sure that u DO have a crystal ball used to read minds. Believe me, I didn't come across the thread until u pointed it yesterday. Remember, that few days back I asked for a doc of WinBuilder API? I wanted to know that whether WB has this ability odr do I need to write an app from scractch? I found that later is better & that's why I started writing an app using AutoIT v3 & for scripting i used .ini files. Beacuse AutoIT is too simple to learn & create Windows GUI & it has built-in support for reading & writing INI files. But as u have already posted this idea three weeks ago, I presume that a number of developers have already sprung into action. <content deleted>. Before even I finish doing this project, hope by next few weeks we'll have some new app come out with scripting support. I'll let u know if I can bring in some new idea.

Quote:But you see, the issue is that the only use of such a thing is if it becomes a "standard".
Standards can be agreed upon or forced (by Law).
We don't have the power to enforce by Law.
We don't have the agreement by one of the developers, which prefers - unneededly - a stupid format, XML.
This would create a problem to the other developers of similar apps that use AutoIt or bash or Wibuilder as scripting engine that have no "easy" support for XML.
In any case I won't have anything to do with XML which I find a stupidly complex format for easy things.
And I won't lose..<content deleted>

Here, @ TLF, I can see many enthusiastic coders who are writing small to medium sized scripts & delivering it to the community. But if you really want something to be of widespread use by the community like WinBuilder - GOBIES is worth considering. For all the required knowledge, there is none other better than Wonko to contact to. What do you people say? Is anyone interested?

PS: I apologize in advance to Wonko for quoting his PM without his permission.
This post was last modified: 01-22-2012, 02:48 AM by Holmes.Sherlock.

01-22-2012, 11:42 AM #2
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

RE: Dare to take up GOBIES project?
Depends. What exactly would we be doing? In what language would this be?

01-22-2012, 01:34 PM #3
Holmes.Sherlock

(01-22-2012, 11:42 AM)Ghoster Wrote:  What exactly would we be doing?
Please go through the thread I referred to.

Quote: In what language would this be?
Depends on the coder.

01-22-2012, 02:29 PM #4
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

I went through the thread. I meant as an individual, what would I be assigned?

01-22-2012, 06:56 PM #5
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

I've been to all those forums with the exception of 911CD, and seen jaclaz there and Wonko (same person) on Reboot tons of times, him and Joakim are the two members that I really value as a couple of intelligent members for my own inspiration. Very smart members... I haven't seen their level of knowledge on the majority of forums that i've been to quite honestly. Lots above my own head as well.

I'm intrigued by this though, and somehwat interested, but the rest of my interest is unfounded due to the fact that i'm still unclear on what exactly this project means after reading through that thread of Wonko's.

Booting through ini files? I read his discussion to not recommend xml or anything like that or hives lol, but ini files were used back in old versions of Windows NT before they realized that the ini file format was limited for the kind of complex data that it could store in comparison to xml, which is why they further/later cmae out with things like the Windows registry.

I need more clarification though on this one. Perhaps hear Wonko's words directly as to what this project means?
This post was last modified: 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-22-2012, 08:20 PM #6
Holmes.Sherlock

(01-22-2012, 06:56 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  I need more clarification though on this one. Perhaps hear Wonko's words directly as to what this project means?
Wonko is very regular on board, still I am not seeing him since last few days. Let me try to contact him to explain this in greater detail.

01-22-2012, 10:19 PM #7
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

Sounds good, I enjoy tackling new projects, and i've been looking for a new one as of late quite honestly. I know more projects will come soon enough though, and even just when MyBB 2.0 comes out finally.

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-23-2012, 01:02 AM #8
Holmes.Sherlock

(01-22-2012, 10:19 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  Sounds good, I enjoy tackling new projects, and i've been looking for a new one as of late quite honestly. I know more projects will come soon enough though, and even just when MyBB 2.0 comes out finally.

Sent a PM to Wonko. Let's wait for him.

01-27-2012, 02:42 PM #9
Holmes.Sherlock

Wonko is reluctant to join TLF for some very personal reason. However, here is his reply.

Quote: There are several utilites aimed to create multi-boot USB sticks, under various Operating Systems.MOST of them rely at their chore to EITHER Syslinux/Memdisk/Isolinux OR grub4dos (or BOTH)
Every time a new distro/project or however anything that is suitable to be a boot item in a multi-boot USB stick comes out, EACH of the various Authors of the mentioned utilities has to decide whether to add this new thingy to their tool and, if yes, find the right settings for it in either Syslinux .cfg or grub4dos .lst
This is a big waste of time, a limitation to the power/capabilities of each tool, and more than that it is foolish, once a new thingy comes out, as soon as the right settings are found, this info could be shared among the developers so that each tool could be capable to add to the multiboot stick anything that is supported by at least another tool.
The proposal was to create an interchangeable format that each tool may be able to parse AND human readable to store the settings for each distro/project/item.
The simplest format that conforms to the THREE requisites above (supported easily by ALL OS, ALL scripting/programming language and human readable) is plain text in the form of .ini/.inf stule "settings" files.
The idea was fourfold:
  • convince ALL (not one, two or a few), ALL developers of the mentioned tools to adopt this kind of "common" plain TEXT setting file
  • develop the specifications for such a setting file in a form that would be eaily human readable and easy parsable
  • create a program/script capable of converting existing, tested, manually written Syslinux .cfg and grub4dos .lst entries into .ini/.inf entries
  • induce people to create/update/publish the entries for such a "common" setting file
If you re-read, at the light of the above, the mentioned thread:
http://reboot.pro/13511/
you will see how the above was ALREADY stated, and how failure @ item #1 (and the arrogance of a .Net self-proclaimed programmer) made me cancel the project, for which however I claim no particular rights, so if anyone wants to revive it, he/she can use any of the info/ideas in it allright.
In case of any further queries, please route it to me. I'll convey it to him.

01-27-2012, 05:58 PM #10
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

perhaps something to do with the member in that thread, mentioned as a .NET programmer as shamurshamur?

Our community is not like that though, there's no tension between .NET and other programmers here, which is where I think he's tried to stray away becuase our forum has lots of .NET stuff (.NET "People" lol) :)

I'd be willing to try on this program, even with my limited knowledge as to what he was onto, but I can research, and learn.

~Ace

▲
 ▲ ▲