Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
[C#] IRC Client Class

ii 
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

05-04-2012, 06:32 PM #21
Jaxel

RE: IRC Client Class v1.0
So I registered here at TechLife to download your library... and I cant, because it requires me to post 50 messages before I can download files. (which if you ask me is a bad idea, you should NEVER promote SPAMMING; and hiding features behind post counts is exactly what that is)

Someone mind uploading these files to another hoster?

05-04-2012, 06:42 PM #22
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(05-04-2012, 06:32 PM)Jaxel Wrote:  So I registered here at TechLife to download your library... and I cant, because it requires me to post 50 messages before I can download files. (which if you ask me is a bad idea, you should NEVER promote SPAMMING; and hiding features behind post counts is exactly what that is)

Someone mind uploading these files to another hoster?

This isn't promoting spamming, that's the difference, the user is the only person responsible for promoting spamming, Just like those who would rather go to find cracked versions of software, they are also given the option to buy the product. But in the end who's really at fault for people using and creating the cracks? Even though it's completely fair for the developer to request such in return, as money which is the difference in this case in comparison to a meager post count.

I see it this way, if you have no intention of contributing to the community in such a small way, then why are others here who are devoted to the community entitled to cater to you by providing you a download so you can forget your login here and be on your way, letting your useraccount accumulate dust?
This post was last modified: 05-04-2012, 06:49 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

05-04-2012, 06:49 PM #23
Jaxel

(05-04-2012, 06:42 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  This isn't promoting spamming, that's the difference, the user is the only person responsible for promoting spamming, Just like those who would rather go to find cracked versions of software, they are also given the option to buy the product. But in the end who's really at fault for people using and creating the cracks? Even though it's completely fair for the developer to request such in return, as money which is the difference in this case in comparison to a meager post count.

As a forum administrator myself, I firmly believe that anytime you hide features behind a post-count wall, you are promoting spam. Maybe not on purpose, but that's what you're doing. You're forcing people to make completely pointless posts just in order to boost their post count. It happens pretty much 100% of the time.
This post was last modified: 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM by Jaxel.

05-04-2012, 07:47 PM #24
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(05-04-2012, 06:49 PM)Jaxel Wrote:  
(05-04-2012, 06:42 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  This isn't promoting spamming, that's the difference, the user is the only person responsible for promoting spamming, Just like those who would rather go to find cracked versions of software, they are also given the option to buy the product. But in the end who's really at fault for people using and creating the cracks? Even though it's completely fair for the developer to request such in return, as money which is the difference in this case in comparison to a meager post count.

As a forum administrator myself, I firmly believe that anytime you hide features behind a post-count wall, you are promoting spam. Maybe not on purpose, but that's what you're doing. You're forcing people to make completely pointless posts just in order to boost their post count. It happens pretty much 100% of the time.

Traffic like that is better than having a high bounce rate from a download and leave immediately. Otherwise if they don't care about your site it's unavoidable anyways. You should be adapting to a system that fits your guidelines and rules, not just patching them up by completely avoiding them possible troublesome implementations. We have moderators and staff to deal with the spam, other than that, it's fairly well maintained in my opinion, if you read on the board index I do make an exception.

Read this: http://tech.reboot.pro/showthread.php?tid=1861

▲
 ▲ ▲

05-04-2012, 08:25 PM #25
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

(05-04-2012, 06:49 PM)Jaxel Wrote:  

I do see what you're saying to a point. And we've definitely had our fights with spam. However, we do not only set the bar at 50 and be done with it. Both Ace and myself have allowed instances such as this to be overlooked. (Check your PM).

The restrictions we have here are based off good faith. You obviously came to get a download and leave which is what we're trying to steer people away from. Most members that come and meet the 20 post criteria end up staying way past their 20 posts. That is what we're trying to do. Get people to actually look around the forum and realize there is SO MUCH more information to be had here.

But unlike most people you made a few posts in regards to your concerns and my opinion, you've at least gave us something to think about. Which I feel is a contribution.

Whichever direction you take is going to have its downsides. This just happens to be the direction we feel works best for us. I look forward to any opinions you may have on this matter.

05-04-2012, 09:10 PM #26
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

In my mind, the people that complain are just the ones that are upset that they have to spend time before getting a download. That's all it is, the idea of posts for attachments is not only for contribution, but it's proven to show members that there so much more to our forum than the downloads, and getting them to stick around a bit longer by persuading them to post a few times, helps them realize this if they like what they see in our community.

I've only heard TWO people complain about this, and in the end, they were both people that came, said what they wanted to say out of frustration, and never visited again, never made any other posts or did anything else, so I take these kinds of complaints towards the downloads with a grain of salt. We run a democracy here, but no sense accommodating people that aren't contributors or devoted to the forum, as if they leave, then what's the purpose? I have this straight opinion towards the attachments though for the reasons i've said above.
This post was last modified: 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

05-05-2012, 08:04 PM #27
Mega1mpact

- snipety snip with a side of snip salad -
This post was last modified: 05-05-2012, 08:05 PM by Mega1mpact.

05-06-2012, 10:28 AM #28
Jaxel

Well some people aren't "posters", they are "readers". I myself am one of those people. Even on my own forums, I barely post... just don't like doing it.

On my own forums, it will take me a month to make 50 posts... here, it will take me a year.
This post was last modified: 05-06-2012, 10:31 AM by Jaxel.

08-07-2012, 03:52 PM #29
Crystalii

Excuse me, but I don't have 50 post counts to download this but I like it very much, can you send me a pm or something with another link of this?

Thanks

08-07-2012, 04:17 PM #30
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

If you stick around and contribute to the community, then you will most likely get a PM.

ii