Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Recent Posts
How do I scan internal and external HDD using MSE?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

02-01-2012, 03:38 PM #1
php111

How do I scan internal and external HDD using MSE?
Hello everyone,

I am using MSE for my AV without additional Malware software. I have a few questions below?

1.) Do I need additional free Malware software along with my AV which is MSE? I have AVG TuneUp, and I have CC Cleaner.

2.) I would like to do a full system scan on my entire internal, and external drives, and external would be plugged into the USB and plugged into an outlet. I don't mind the wait. What settings would I need to scan everything to make sure I'm clean?

Oh, one last thing. I was in my MSE settings, and I noticed that I am a member of something like SpyNet. A family relative of mind set everything up. He knows what he is doing, so I went by having me subscribed to no memberships. I'm not exactly sure on how much damage he done. I only wanted him to setup a new drive. I didn't think he would put me in memberships since he doesn't do that his self.

02-01-2012, 03:43 PM #2
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Administrators

RE: How do I scan internal and external HDD using MSE?
I don't have MSE but you can use this link to aid you in your task:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/getting-started-with-security-essentials

Also, Spynet comes standard with MSE and you are not paying for anything if that is what you are wondering.

To opt-out of it though check out this link:
http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-block-microsoft-spynet-2009.html

02-01-2012, 04:08 PM #3
php111

Thank you so much for that information!

Based on the tools above, should I keep them? Or should I get rid of them? Or do I need better tools?

PS, I can't get on the Internet, but a payment has been made last week, so it takes 7-10 business days, and then they can turn on my DSL modem services. I can't download any tools, but I can look into it. I have an iPhone. No, not the 4S with Siri!

02-06-2012, 12:54 AM #4
Styx
Meow

(02-01-2012, 03:38 PM)php111 Wrote:  1.) Do I need additional free Malware software along with my AV which is MSE? I have AVG TuneUp, and I have CC Cleaner.

No. Just keep one anti-virus. That means it is either AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Quote:2.) I would like to do a full system scan on my entire internal, and external drives, and external would be plugged into the USB and plugged into an outlet. I don't mind the wait. What settings would I need to scan everything to make sure I'm clean?

Perform a full scan. I would suggest doing it separately, though. Do not plug-in your external hard drive when performing a complete system scan.

Quote:Oh, one last thing. I was in my MSE settings, and I noticed that I am a member of something like SpyNet. A family relative of mind set everything up. He knows what he is doing, so I went by having me subscribed to no memberships. I'm not exactly sure on how much damage he done. I only wanted him to setup a new drive. I didn't think he would put me in memberships since he doesn't do that his self.

It is optional. I would not join if I were you. Tongue2

02-06-2012, 12:23 PM #5
php111

Thank you so much!

Another question? After a full scan on my internal, how do I scan my external properly? I'll keep MSE, and I'll get rid of AVG. Should I get keep one or the other of MSE, or CCClearner?

02-06-2012, 12:27 PM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(02-06-2012, 12:23 PM)php111 Wrote:  Thank you so much!

Another question? After a full scan on my internal, how do I scan my external properly? I'll keep MSE, and I'll get rid of AVG. Should I get keep one or the other of MSE, or CCClearner?

To scan your external, it's the same thing as scanning your system drive, but you can use the custom scan option to specify what you want to scan in MSE.

Lastly, CCleaner, is not an AV or a scanner for malicious data.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

02-06-2012, 12:45 PM #7
php111

Ace,

So, let me get this right? Use the "full" scan option to scan my internal drive without external drives connected, and use the "custom" option to scan my external drives which are USB's? Or use "Custom" for everything? It seems to be scanning pretty quick for both options. Can you pull up MSE, and give me a brief tutorial on settings and tabs I should have set?

It seems like it took a long time to swap out a drive? LOL.

02-06-2012, 12:55 PM #8
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(02-06-2012, 12:45 PM)php111 Wrote:  Ace,

So, let me get this right? Use the "full" scan option to scan my internal drive without external drives connected, and use the "custom" option to scan my external drives which are USB's? Or use "Custom" for everything? It seems to be scanning pretty quick for both options. Can you pull up MSE, and give me a brief tutorial on settings and tabs I should have set?

It seems like it took a long time to swap out a drive? LOL.

Custom for everything if you choose everything yes. It's pretty self explanatory though, if you have MSE, if you select the full option and press scan, it will ask you what you want to scan immediately aftwards...

▲
 ▲ ▲

04-12-2012, 07:29 PM #9
php111

Thank you for deleting the posts! I much appreciate it to who ever cleaned it up! May I ask a question? How are users getting access to post like that? I mean are they bots? Just asking. Yes, I am subscribed to everything, so if I post I receive it by email, so thank you!

On topic: I am still using MSE + Win 7 Firewall without any extra security. Sounds good?

04-12-2012, 07:51 PM #10
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(04-12-2012, 07:29 PM)php111 Wrote:  Thank you for deleting the posts! I much appreciate it to who ever cleaned it up! May I ask a question? How are users getting access to post like that? I mean are they bots? Just asking. Yes, I am subscribed to everything, so if I post I receive it by email, so thank you!

On topic: I am still using MSE + Win 7 Firewall without any extra security. Sounds good?
If it works for you then it's good :)

▲
 ▲ ▲