View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
[tutorial] Downloading torrent files from the command line using rtorrent

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

02-28-2012, 10:55 AM #1
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

[tutorial] Downloading torrent files from the command line using rtorrent
Recently I need to download some drivers from driverpacks.net and noticed that now they only offer the option to download through torrents.

Unfortunately, my workstation is limited and does not allow either admin rights or access to ports other than 80.

I do have access to SSH on a Linux machine running Ubuntu that is outside my firewall. However, I had no access to a desktop through VNC or NX clients.

So, command line is all that is left to get torrent files. On this short blog post I will show how it can be done in a few easy steps.

1) Install rtorrent using "apt-get install rtorrent"
2) Use "cd" to change onto the dir where you want the files to be located
3) Run the program, type "rtorrent"
4) Press backspace to open the dialog for a new torrent
5) Type the full download URL with http:// (I use http://goo.gl to shorten the direct URL address)
6) Press enter, watch rtorrent work

To quit rtorrent, press "ctrl+q".

This is not complicated and from there I can grab the files using direct download onto my workstation.

I hope this tip helps other people out there. If you have any doubts, just write a comment below.

Take care!
:)
This post was last modified: 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM by Nuno Brito.
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

02-28-2012, 12:48 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: [tutorial] Downloading torrent files from the command line using rtorrent
Pretty nice :) I can't use Linux, it keeps freezing on me and bringing me up to the BSOD equivilant on Linux. Both for Mint 10 and Mint 11 from my testing so far (although on Linux it appears to be a black screen instead of a blue one). But this is useful, I'm not familiar with the Linux terminal at all.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

02-29-2012, 04:23 AM #3
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

I would recommend trying out Ubuntu x86 from a Virtual Box machine:
https://www.virtualbox.org/

This will ensure you can try it out without nuisances.

Using linux is a good investment of time. I started using Ubuntu full time after buying a laptop with Vista and refusing to use a slow OS: http://nunobrito1981.blogspot.com/2008/0...buntu.html

At the time, Ubuntu was exactly what Vista should have been in the first place. Fast, low memory consuming and simple. With Windows 7 they fixed many of the mistakes as most of the world simply refused to upgrade or would simply change to another OS altogether.

Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

02-29-2012, 11:12 AM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Ah, well explained tutorial here Nuno!

I forgot that I was going to install VirtualBox a while back but never got around to it. Thanks for inadvertently reminding me. :D

02-29-2012, 01:47 PM #5
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

I've actually never tried Ubuntu as popular as it is, i've heard that it's pretty bulky for Linux, just that it's popular, so I went to Fedora and Linux Mint instead, but if I use my VMWare (or VirtualBox) I could give Ubuntu a test.

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-04-2013, 10:18 AM #6
lungpu

(02-28-2012, 12:48 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  Pretty nice :) I can't use Linux, it keeps freezing on me and bringing me up to the BSOD equivilant on Linux. Both for Mint 10 and Mint 11 from my testing so far (although on Linux it appears to be a black screen instead of a blue one). But this is useful, I'm not familiar with the Linux terminal at all.

There is a bug that is not Mint specific but a kernel one most probably consisting in black screen with content on it but with the display show off (no light from the screen). If you are one of the unlucky guys who is suffering this, solution is not easy, better try an older version of mint/ubuntu or even debian. If not, I can just guess it could be a driver related issue but cannot know without seeing.

Bests!

09-06-2013, 12:05 AM #7
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(09-04-2013, 10:18 AM)lungpu Wrote:  
(02-28-2012, 12:48 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  Pretty nice :) I can't use Linux, it keeps freezing on me and bringing me up to the BSOD equivilant on Linux. Both for Mint 10 and Mint 11 from my testing so far (although on Linux it appears to be a black screen instead of a blue one). But this is useful, I'm not familiar with the Linux terminal at all.

There is a bug that is not Mint specific but a kernel one most probably consisting in black screen with content on it but with the display show off (no light from the screen). If you are one of the unlucky guys who is suffering this, solution is not easy, better try an older version of mint/ubuntu or even debian. If not, I can just guess it could be a driver related issue but cannot know without seeing.

Bests!

Okay, this was a pretty big bump, but I can see since this forum doesn't get much attention, a reason for it. :)

I've tried older and newer btw, nothing changes. I can run Linux fine through a Virtual machine last time I checked however, but in all honesty, I'm not even worried about it. I'm using Windows anyways.

I really don't see it being a driver issue though since it's happened with clean installs...
This post was last modified: 09-06-2013, 12:07 AM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲