Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Gmail to MyBB PM

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

04-18-2012, 08:04 AM #1
Holmes.Sherlock

Gmail to MyBB PM
Do you people know AceInfinity? Ahh! now it's must be a joke everybody knows him. According to him, he gets buried under tons of mails everyday & checking & keeping track of his mails is virtually impossible for him. It's not a sarcasm intended, this is the problem which many of us face today. According to Ace, forum PMs are better way to reach him. But, I manage a googlegroup where people send regular mails. So, is there anyone out here who can code a web service which will accept mails from standard mail services & route them as MyBB PMs to the person intended by calling some MyBB API or some other way? This is your today's programming challenge.

04-18-2012, 08:23 AM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: Gmail to MyBB PM
lol, I'm not even sure how you'd go about this, for an application it would have to be running all the time to check. Not familiar enough with PHP to see how this could be done, I know Perl is also a web language, but not familiar with what it's capable of doing online either. Only locally run scripts.

To MyBB PM though, I know you'd need to have a dummy user which would be the messenger sending the data to my PM inbox whenever it receives new data from GMail.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

04-18-2012, 08:27 AM #3
Holmes.Sherlock

(04-18-2012, 08:23 AM)AceInfinity Wrote:  lol, I'm not even sure how you'd go about this, for an application it would have to be running all the time to check. Not familiar enough with PHP to see how this could be done, I know Perl is also a web language, but not familiar with what it's capable of doing online either. Only locally run scripts.

To MyBB PM though, I know you'd need to have a dummy user which would be the messenger sending the data to my PM inbox whenever it receives new data from GMail.
PHP:Sockets can be the solution.

Quote: To MyBB PM though, I know you'd need to have a dummy user which would be the messenger sending the data to my PM inbox whenever it receives new data from GMail.
Correct you are.

04-18-2012, 10:29 AM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I could most definitely handle the MyBB part of it. I am not familiar w/ PHP Sockets or handling email through PHP. We do have the capability to set something up like that.. however I fear the extent of my knowledge can not quite do this. Yet! I like the idea though. Perhaps m0ral or Lee Stevens has done something like this in PHP. Or Laxer.. he's a PHP guy too isn't he?

Another alternative would be to create a desktop application that connects via IMAP or POP3 and then redirects the email to MyBB. Not sure which task would be eaiser though.

04-18-2012, 10:37 AM #5
Holmes.Sherlock

(04-18-2012, 10:29 AM)KoBE Wrote:  I could most definitely handle the MyBB part of it. I am not familiar w/ PHP Sockets or handling email through PHP. We do have the capability to set something up like that.. however I fear the extent of my knowledge can not quite do this. Yet! I like the idea though. Perhaps m0ral or Lee Stevens has done something like this in PHP. Or Laxer.. he's a PHP guy too isn't he?
Let's do this way. I'm also not much familiar with PHP, but if you try to take care of MyBB, I can give a try to the other half.

Quote: Another alternative would be to create a desktop application that connects via IMAP or POP3 and then redirects the email to MyBB. Not sure which task would be eaiser though.
Naah..it won't be that useful as I am quite convinced that Ace will be to lazy to run the desktop app everyday to get the mails PM-ed, I can bet on it. :)

04-18-2012, 12:09 PM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

You guys will have this done within the next week or so to justify even having it created? lol The competition is in ~a week isn't it? If we go past that I wouldn't have use for this project for quite a while, at least until the next challenge anyways :)

I got into desktop apps again when I found out about the MSDN gadget, however, now I just check the site, as i'm logged into those forums whenever I sign into my personal email anyways... And the gadget doesn't display enough threads for me to make it worthwhile since my subscribed threads list is big

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

04-18-2012, 12:11 PM #7
Holmes.Sherlock

(04-18-2012, 12:09 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  You guys will have this done within the next week or so to justify even having it created? lol The competition is in ~a week isn't it? If we go past that I wouldn't have use for this project for quite a while, at least until the next challenge anyways :)
Even my supervisor has not set such a difficult target yet!! :)