Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
[TUT] How To "Google" [TUT]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

04-19-2012, 08:10 AM #1
BreShiE
Knowledge Is Power

[TUT] How To "Google" [TUT]
Okay, so looking at the title I'm sure you all think this will be some sort of joke, or a troll, let me assure you that it is most definitely not! It's widely known that Google (and a variety of other search engines) can be a pain in the backside while trying to find something. When you're searching for something, this is often referred to as "Googling". Now, googling isn't just searching for what you want to find, it's about optimizing your question to get the best response out of your specified search engine. Search Engines work on keywords that you enter, this means you will have to optimize your question, and break it down into smaller keywords.

Okay, for example let's use the search term "Where can I buy a house", you get random search topics coming up with people asking the same question and/or things about buying houses on Skyrim (a video game). That being said, we now need to change what you searched in-order to optimize the results, but how can we do this? Try changing your question from "Where can I buy a house" and add in some more detail, for instance your town/city/provinence. But with this, you'll have something like this: "Where can I buy a house in Orlando Florida". I think this is too long, you may get some good results but still is not the best to optimize your results! So instead, let's search for "Houses for sale orlando florida". There you have it, instant results of places to view and buy houses.

Let's use another example; we're going to use the search term "Where can I learn to Ice Skate". Obviously this is going to pull up some random search results that you may not want. So again, to optimize your question we're going to break this down into keywords and into much more detail with as few words as possible. Change your search terms to again, add you location; "Where can I learn to ice skate in Orlando Florida". Once again, this is way too big and most likely will not give you the best search results. Take a look at your search term and think about how you can optimize it, for instance with this I'm going to change my search term from "Where can I learn to ice skate in Orlando Florida", to, "ice skating lessons Orlando Florida". There you have it, the best way to optimize your search terms to return the best results.

If you are struggling to understand anything in this post, or still don't know what I mean by breaking it down, then be sure to post and I'll help out as much as possible.

~Written By BreShiE

"It was pretty impressive to watch a missile fly down an air vent, but couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people?"

04-19-2012, 08:19 AM #2
kerplunk
Legen.. *wait for it* ..dary!

RE: [TUT] How To "Google" [TUT]
Lol. I was thinking "Why would I wanna buy a horse?" then I read it again -_-

Nice share BreShiE.
cheers

04-19-2012, 08:24 AM #3
BreShiE
Knowledge Is Power

(04-19-2012, 08:19 AM)#KerplunK Wrote:  Lol. I was thinking "Why would I wanna buy a horse?" then I read it again -_-

Nice share BreShiE.
cheers

Hehe, I'm glad you like it. Yeah I'm sure using buying a horse as an example would be rather... weird.

"It was pretty impressive to watch a missile fly down an air vent, but couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people?"

04-19-2012, 09:49 AM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Bringing us back to the basics! I like it. Me and Google spend a lot of time together. When used effectively, Google is a VERY handy tool.

04-19-2012, 10:33 AM #5
BreShiE
Knowledge Is Power

(04-19-2012, 09:49 AM)KoBE Wrote:  Bringing us back to the basics! I like it. Me and Google spend a lot of time together. When used effectively, Google is a VERY handy tool.

All these tutorials I'm doing at the moment are basic, yet useful information. I'll probably do a few more and then move onto better tutorials.

04-19-2012, 12:15 PM #6
Holmes.Sherlock

Sometimes we need search results from a specific domain.For example, when I need to search the forum for threads which I visited l-o-n-g back, I use something like
Code:
site:reboot.pro + Crystal ball

basically,
Code:
site:<domain name + <keyword>

04-19-2012, 12:58 PM #7
Lee Stevens

I'll give you this REALLLLLLLY!!! Handy web page it will help you master Google: http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_oper...rence.html

Be nice and say thanks :P

04-19-2012, 01:04 PM #8
Florin
Team Reboot

Or as an ready-made alternative http://www.gseek.com/

Thanks!

04-19-2012, 03:55 PM #9
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(04-19-2012, 12:15 PM)Holmes.Sherlock Wrote:  Sometimes we need search results from a specific domain.For example, when I need to search the forum for threads which I visited l-o-n-g back, I use something like
Code:
site:reboot.pro + Crystal ball

basically,
Code:
site:

You don't need to do it that way, I like putting the options at the end:
Code:
"some keywords here" site:tech.reboot.pro

Code:
"some file i'm looking for" filetype:pdf

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

04-19-2012, 07:41 PM #10
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

It's really useful to also use things like inurl: or indescription: