View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
[Announcement] WYSIWYG Editor has been disabled

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12-19-2012, 12:26 AM #1
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

WYSIWYG Editor has been disabled
Due to changes to the MyBB Core files, our WYSIWYG editor now has more bugs in it.

Instead of investing the time to fix it, due to prior complaints about the plugin in general.. we've decided to disable it for the time being.

The major difference between the two are the options to copy/paste formatted code.

Now, at least you won't have to worry about the line breaks disappearing when copying in code. Both Thumbs Up
This post was last modified: 12-19-2012, 12:26 AM by KoBE.

12-19-2012, 12:31 AM #2
Epixors
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。
TLF Coders

RE: WYSIWYG Editor has been disabled
Oh well, prevents having to switch all the time when pasting code :)

12-19-2012, 12:53 AM #3
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

Good, got rid of the bugger lol Laugh

In all seriousness, I can't remember the last time I used that thing anyways. It's not capable of posting code.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

12-19-2012, 05:31 AM #4
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

(12-19-2012, 12:53 AM)AceInfinity Wrote:  Good, got rid of the bugger lol Laugh

In all seriousness, I can't remember the last time I used that thing anyways. It's not capable of posting code.

You guys are wise. I wish the same wisdom had come earlier to us as well.

Look here: http://reboot.pro/topic/17891-code-boxes-messed-up/

Years of postings completely broken on each upgrade. Will see if the pretty WYSIWYG box can be disabled on our side as well.
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

12-19-2012, 09:20 AM #5
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(12-19-2012, 05:31 AM)Nuno Brito Wrote:  
(12-19-2012, 12:53 AM)AceInfinity Wrote:  Good, got rid of the bugger lol Laugh

You guys are wise. I wish the same wisdom had come earlier to us as well.

Years of postings completely broken on each upgrade. Will see if the pretty WYSIWYG box can be disabled on our side as well.

That's no good at all Nuno Brito... I'd hate it to have any forum lose some posts due to corruption. Scared

▲
 ▲ ▲

12-19-2012, 09:48 AM #6
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

(12-19-2012, 05:31 AM)Nuno Brito Wrote:  You guys are wise. I wish the same wisdom had come earlier to us as well.

When it breaks, are the CSS/theme bugs or does it modify your database? Hopefully it's not the latter.

Edit: After further reading, it appears that they changed the contents of your posts! For a forum software, I feel that is ridiculous! IMO the board is there to display the content you have, not change it!

One of the reasons I love MyBB is anything dealing with posts are plugin based. Meaning you CHOOSE to run certain things and can develop plugins to add or remove the bells and whistles. This is one of those situations that you'll never read about on the IPB site before installing. Sorry for your luck!

If we can ever do anything to help, let us know!
This post was last modified: 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM by KoBE.

12-20-2012, 04:31 AM #7
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Unfortunately it was indeed the content of the posts that got modified. To this I'm yet to understand: "Why?" What?

The content is plain bbcode, should never have been "formatted" but that was the case and so hundreds of boards using their software have fallen to the same destiny.

Look here:
http://reboot.pro/topic/5041-grub4dos-is...g/?p=61651

The code on quote is something that use to boot their computers. They will copy and past that code to their boot loaders. Now imagine them placing there garbled text that does not work. The computer does not boot afterwards.

My worst worry are codes like: "&#40" that was a "(" and "&#41" that used to be a ")". These two examples were plain ASCII before and now are HTML encoding that we can't use.

If you would have a way of removing these things from our database and get them back to order, I'd be very grateful. I don't know how many users are getting their computers broken because of this mess.

There is a converter here, but I have no clue how this can be changed on the database, maybe this tools helps: http://reboot.pro/files/file/178-botched...verterzip/

If you wish, I can setup a test board with a copy of the database to test the fixes. A lot of folks there would be really happy (me included). RollEyes
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

12-20-2012, 04:50 AM #8
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

Now that you put it into perspective Nuno Brito, this seems like a larger issue than I initially thought. Maybe i'll give this a full on test over the weekend. I'm sure that if I can modify the file to reflect the proper changes, that it can be done with some kind of special unique software even that someone or myself could quickly write up. I already have XAMPP ready to go on my machine as well.

On a side note, I should have lots of time before Christmas to do some things if I can. :) I bought a web server for my family, so we'll all get to use it. My main intention is for media storage and backup. I'll be able to store lots of things there though securely.

I'm kind of nervous about January though, I want to make the start of January my official deadline for one of my larger projects, but It doesn't look like that's possible with how much i've got left, so i'll forget it, and keep at it on my own pace; allows for me to do some other things in the meanwhile, and this could be one of them.

Edit: Ahh, Wonko developed that little utility. :)

Do you have a sample database that I can use for testing?
This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 05:05 AM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

12-20-2012, 10:06 AM #9
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

(12-20-2012, 04:31 AM)Nuno Brito Wrote:  If you would have a way of removing these things from our database and get them back to order, I'd be very grateful.

There is a SQL Replace function.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/s...on_replace

To do the replace for "&#41" it would look something like this:
Code:
UPDATE table_name
SET post_column = REPLACE(post_column, '&#41', ')');

* Note: We don't allow HTML in posts here, so to I can't put the ';' at the end of the html encodings. So, the above query would have an ';' at the end of the '&#41'.

This will replace every instance of &#41 with ) in every post.
This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 11:15 AM by KoBE.

12-20-2012, 11:14 AM #10
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Alright, I've tested this against my local copy of TLF and it worked like a charm.

I've attached a txt document to this post that has the queries I ran against my test copy. I would suggest running them on a test board and changing the table name to your table, and the post column to the one reflected in your database.

I ran all 7 of these queries at the same time against an SQLi server using phpMyAdmin. You should have no problems doing the same.

Let me know if you need any help. :D

Oh, and the top of the txt file is just the codes with their equivalent. I just used that to build the queries below.

Edit: One more note. I took these codes from jaclaz's javascript tool for the common ones. I didn't create one for the # sign because I'm not clear on how you would want to handle that.

Attached Files
.txt   nuno_sql.txt (Size: 523 bytes / Downloads: 0)
This post was last modified: 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM by KoBE.