Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Free or paid antivirus ?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

07-19-2013, 04:51 AM #21
Saket

RE: Free or paid antivirus ?
(07-18-2013, 10:28 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  @Saket - Unfortunately all of that information is too old to really be of any use. Antivirus programs can change dramatically within the period of a single year, and tests are available as recent as a couple months ago...

Yes u r right friend. My post was just informative for the users who might need it. but we need to consider that the AV's performance for the platform on which we are going to use it, as some av is very good at XP but fails on Win 7... ;)

Regards
Saket

07-19-2013, 08:19 AM #22
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(07-19-2013, 04:51 AM)Saket Wrote:  
(07-18-2013, 10:28 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  @Saket - Unfortunately all of that information is too old to really be of any use. Antivirus programs can change dramatically within the period of a single year, and tests are available as recent as a couple months ago...

Yes u r right friend. My post was just informative for the users who might need it. but we need to consider that the AV's performance for the platform on which we are going to use it, as some av is very good at XP but fails on Win 7... ;)

Regards
Saket

Yes, but for as far back as 1998, your probably going to be talking about Win98, in which case hardly anyone uses anymore. You would be right, but there are many changes to Win7 from XP too including UAC.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

07-19-2013, 12:06 PM #23
AnthonyN

Windows 95 and 98 it was like what was anti virus.

XP you just flat out needed it and then some. UAC never really existed. Except for major system changes.

Win 7 I think everyone changed their plans Microsoft and AV companies both.
Jack Frost: We'll always be there, Jamie. And now, we'll always be here.
[points to Jamie's heart]
Jack Frost: Which kind of makes you a Guardian too.

07-19-2013, 06:38 PM #24
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

Keep in mind, sometimes it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the platform itself, but the AV. Malware has changed over time. Methods used to exploit a machine have changed, and the way malware works and what it does has also changed. It used to just be destructive, and now you see malware usually more secretive (not like it used to be with popups and everything), and also serving a purpose. There is ransomware trojans for instance, in which never used to exist before...

Personally, yes destruction is bad, but much better than the secretive and sneaky viruses that now exist. I would rather have to re-load Windows than to have my SIN exposed for example.
This post was last modified: 07-19-2013, 06:40 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

07-19-2013, 06:46 PM #25
AnthonyN

Don't get me wrong, an up to date reputable av and firewall are the best lines of defense for any system.

Speaking of firewalls, any personal suggestions ace?
Jack Frost: We'll always be there, Jamie. And now, we'll always be here.
[points to Jamie's heart]
Jack Frost: Which kind of makes you a Guardian too.

07-19-2013, 10:18 PM #26
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

I know of some bad ones by other opinions floating around from a few smart people. I still think the built in firewall with Norton is pretty good though. Lots of configuration that most people don't take advantage of.

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-29-2014, 07:27 PM #27
Helynoise

Free antivirus does the job for me (avira)... I get a bunch of false positives, but thats ok.

However if you do lots of work in "unsave" areas and your PC is an investment, you might want to consider a paid one.