View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
[Suggestion] Blog System

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-05-2013, 06:46 PM #1
Epixors
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。
TLF Coders

[Suggestion] Blog System
I was thinking, perhaps it'd be nice to have some kind of a blog system. Some of you fellas (including me lol) or doing some projects, and rather than updating threads, getting gigantic stuff on them I'd like to see us able to post something to a blog. For all I care a blog thread would also be created where only the user can post (this would also be where it fetches from) so there are no complaints about it distracting from the main content.

There is a Dutch tech news and community site called Tweakers where they implemented their blogs rather well. Lots of users pay visits there regularly to see some of the projects going on.

Quick googling result: http://mybbsource.com/thread-2688.html

Of course we could also write one ourselves (with ourselves probably meaning KoBE).

Share your opinions on this.

01-05-2013, 07:23 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: [Suggestion] Blog System
Updating threads is the point of a forum in my opinion. So that people could respond on a particular part of a post, or a post made later on by someone else, instead of having a main area, with a whole bunch of less significant comments..

Without feedback what's the point in having a forum? It's made for discussions. And blogs on any forums I've seen have not been very successful, unless your forum is absolutely huge because they are a burden on the content, unless you have a group of tutorial writers. If you need someplace, then I would just create my own blog for a project, and link to it in a thread, which contains more detailed information on the updates you're making.

That's what I'm doing for a project right now actually. You add too much to a forum, and it's not a forum anymore, and the forum itself just becomes a deadzone.

Right now the most important thing is content to the forum itself. Adding things to take away from a bit of discussion is almost like a bullet ricocheting off a wall that you fired and letting it hit you back. We need to aim for good targets that won't backfire on us, but some way or another we need target on the forum before we do anything else.
This post was last modified: 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-06-2013, 09:11 PM #3
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

(01-05-2013, 07:23 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  If you need someplace, then I would just create my own blog for a project, and link to it in a thread, which contains more detailed information on the updates you're making.

That takes the content away from TLF completely. At least with a TLF hosted blog it would still benefit us (SEO wise).

(01-05-2013, 07:23 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  Right now the most important thing is content to the forum itself.

If integrated properly, then I think adding a blog system could give users a way to contribute differently. If you think about it, we could create a blog section, and let each user have a single thread. At the same time we could make it to where only that person could edit/reply to that person's 'blog'. Boom, instant blog system. :D

01-06-2013, 10:07 PM #4
Predator
Staff
Moderators

(01-06-2013, 09:11 PM)KoBE Wrote:  
(01-05-2013, 07:23 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  If you need someplace, then I would just create my own blog for a project, and link to it in a thread, which contains more detailed information on the updates you're making.

That takes the content away from TLF completely. At least with a TLF hosted blog it would still benefit us (SEO wise).

(01-05-2013, 07:23 PM)AceInfinity Wrote:  Right now the most important thing is content to the forum itself.

If integrated properly, then I think adding a blog system could give users a way to contribute differently. If you think about it, we could create a blog section, and let each user have a single thread. At the same time we could make it to where only that person could edit/reply to that person's 'blog'. Boom, instant blog system. :D
Why not just a page with a HTML editor? Or allow upload of .html files?

tech.reboot.pro/(Chosen Blog Name)

01-06-2013, 11:07 PM #5
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(01-06-2013, 10:07 PM)Predator Wrote:  
(01-06-2013, 09:11 PM)KoBE Wrote:  

Why not just a page with a HTML editor? Or allow upload of .html files?

tech.reboot.pro/(Chosen Blog Name)

If we did add this... That would be the horrible way to go in my opinion, allowing users to input HTML is never a good idea, let alone upload stuff to build their own pages...

Thinking in terms of SEO is the only way this makes sense to me though as I can't really see many people here making use of it. Maybe 1 or 2, and I just don't feel like having something else on the forum that will hardly get used... The code vault and challenges stuff rarely gets used anymore, VB school is slightly active on my side, but people that KoBE had a while back just bailed on him. Our forum groups aren't even that active; VB School is probably the most active one.

We can add all of this stuff to the forum, but some kind of practicality needs to kick in as well somewhere along the lines. Not just because it's "cool", so that's where my opinion is.

For SEO terms, I can see the blogs being useful there, but ONLY if people use it... Because now they don't need to host their own blog, and perhaps they will go out and linkback to their own blogs, which in turn benefits us with backlinks. Only if it's active though and used. Otherwise it's just another burden that we have to deal with.

How many people would really use it? And I want honest feedback on this. If it's worth the time and effort overall, then I would be more apt to consider. I probably wouldn't use it much myself as i'm not a blogger, but I don't make up the whole community so I think it would be best to take a survey.

if it is its own blog system integrated with our regular accounts, then realize the security flaws here as well.

~Ace
This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-07-2013, 12:16 AM #6
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

As Ace said, allowing HTML wouldn't be a good idea. Also, taking on another project like this would add it to a list of things we need to maintain. But, if we had enough people that wanted it.. then it is something that we are willing to do.

01-07-2013, 01:25 AM #7
Epixors
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。
TLF Coders

Clearly I would use it, don‘t know about others.