Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Website compatibility to all browsers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-17-2013, 04:46 AM #1
Adriana

Website compatibility to all browsers
Do you test your website's compatibility to all browsers? Well, maybe not all, but which browsers do you find important when it comes to testing a new website?

01-17-2013, 05:09 AM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: Website compatibility to all browsers
There is 2 questions that I see there. But IE is definitely the most important because it is a default browser and most computer users don't know that others exist. Otherwise, chrome, safari (because of people that browse from their iPhones and such), and Firefox are important as well. The rest are minority and usually you can get away with things that are not buggy on these other browsers without checking because the other changes you make to make the main ones compatible usually work for other browsers too. I would say IE is the most different from the rest though. Chrome is easy to make a website compatible for, but IE and Firefox seem to be pretty different.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-17-2013, 06:40 AM #3
Adriana

The majority of people who visit my sites are using Firefox and Chrome (there are more people on Firefox than Chrome), very few use IE, even if, like you said, most users don't usually bother with other browsers.

01-17-2013, 08:20 AM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(01-17-2013, 06:40 AM)Adriana Wrote:  The majority of people who visit my sites are using Firefox and Chrome (there are more people on Firefox than Chrome), very few use IE, even if, like you said, most users don't usually bother with other browsers.

Depends on your niche. If you're running a tech website like this, then chances are most of your interested traffic is from people who have more experience with computer, so obviously you can expect to see some more variety. But if you plan on extending, be ready to make IE views optimized if you haven't already. So I think it's still very important :)

Here, it's the same thing, but you're still going to want to optimize for IE because part of the traffic here is from people searching questions on Google or some other search engine like Bing for how to solve a technical issue. For a tech site like this, the goldmine is to target those users, because they will post the questions... More questions get indexed on search engines, and adversely, solutions too! Other people searching for the same solutions will have visibility to our site, and everything is beneficial as you can see. :)

The technical geeks on this forum don't make the (entire) site (including me)... It's people like the ones signing up to the VB School for instance, asking for help with hardware or software, or anything else, that make the majority of the site NormalSmile. Not to be offensive, but the less technical people are the ones I'm referring to.

Although there's nothing wrong with that, because I find enjoyment in helping people out. It's one of the reasons why I'm so active on this site. When I answer specific questions in programming, I enjoy knowing that I've helped someone out. And it's like killing 2 birds with one stone because I know it gets this site a bit farther as well, even for how small just a single post can be. Anyone's post can help the forum quite honestly!

cheers
This post was last modified: 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-18-2013, 03:27 AM #5
Adriana

I usually use WordPress to create sites (you know you can use it for more than blogs, right?) so, for me, compatibility with the "top browsers" is not an issue. Of course IE is important, they keep coming out with new and improved versions (even if not all of them are great). But you see, by using a script, the sites are already compatible with IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc. At least I've never had any problems.