Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
What are some good ways to protect your PC?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-18-2013, 04:16 PM #1
Adriana

What are some good ways to protect your PC?
What do you people recommend in order to have a protected PC at home? Is an antivirus enough? Is it best to have an antivirus + another program combination? What do you think works best (besides keeping your nose out of trouble Tongue2)

01-19-2013, 08:21 PM #2
RDCA

RE: What are some good ways to protect your PC?
Anti-virus plus firewall is all you need really. There are some other tools which are pretty useful, but aren't needed for your protection. A lot of them also help to keep your computer running smoothly.

01-19-2013, 08:24 PM #3
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

If you stay virus free that also helps keep your computer running smoothly usually, so I'd keep AV's in that category as well Laugh

I'd agree though. Some AV's come with a built in Firewall like Norton though. Norton has a really good Firewall in my opinion. I haven't read latest reports if any have been out since, but it's been good on other front's in late 2012.
This post was last modified: 01-19-2013, 08:25 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-20-2013, 05:38 AM #4
Adriana

i only use AVG on my own computer and nothing more. Since it's the free version, it doesn't have a firewall included but, so far so good, I didn't encounter any problems.

01-20-2013, 09:15 PM #5
RDCA

Why not just use MSE and the standard Windows firewall? It's a very light-weight AV, and is very good.

01-21-2013, 02:45 AM #6
Epixors
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。
TLF Coders

Norton is a douche though, detects some programs as a virus because they aren‘t widely used. Then you have to delve in the configs ._.

Happened when I made a program for my friend. I use BitDefender/AVG and MalwareBytes + CCleaner to keep it nice.

01-21-2013, 04:01 AM #7
Adriana

RDCA, I got used to AVG, I have used it since 2007 (I think). The firewall is activated by default, forgot to mention that Blush

Epixors, I know how Norton can give you a headache! I don't think I have something nice to say about it, honestly.

01-21-2013, 10:09 AM #8
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(01-21-2013, 02:45 AM)Epixors Wrote:  Norton is a douche though, detects some programs as a virus because they aren‘t widely used. Then you have to delve in the configs ._.

Happened when I made a program for my friend. I use BitDefender/AVG and MalwareBytes + CCleaner to keep it nice.

If you know how to configure Norton that doesn't happen lol. That's why I said I like Norton, it's very configurable. :)

(01-21-2013, 04:01 AM)Adriana Wrote:  RDCA, I got used to AVG, I have used it since 2007 (I think). The firewall is activated by default, forgot to mention that Blush

Epixors, I know how Norton can give you a headache! I don't think I have something nice to say about it, honestly.

You won't hear much good about AVG in lots of reputable malware analyst forujs Adriana. Not only has it been known to not to a very good job as an AV, but it's also not very stable and has been notorious for the cause of BSOD's. If you know how it "moves in" to your filesystem and everything when you install it, and how bad the uninstaller is as well you probably wouldn't use it.

I would agree with RDCA about MSE though. (Now called "Windows Defender" in Windows 8)

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-22-2013, 01:28 PM #9
Adriana

That's funny, I chose AVG based on other users' reviews. Oh well. 
I'll give MSE a try as I see everyone is so pleased with it NormalSmile There was a time when I used Windows firewall only and I have had some trouble with malware si, again based on users' reviews, decided that Windows programs are not enough to protect my PC.

01-22-2013, 04:23 PM #10
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(01-22-2013, 01:28 PM)Adriana Wrote:  That's funny, I chose AVG based on other users' reviews. Oh well. 
I'll give MSE a try as I see everyone is so pleased with it NormalSmile There was a time when I used Windows firewall only and I have had some trouble with malware si, again based on users' reviews, decided that Windows programs are not enough to protect my PC.

I don't know much about the new AVG, all I know is that the past tests I've seen that are within 1 year ago, were so horrific that I wouldn't even consider it now. I don't think many people take it seriously anymore, there's not too many tests done with AVG, and the few that do add AVG in there, AVG still ranks in the 3-5 range, out of 10, in comparison to the rest of the AV's tested. The ones I usually see at the top are MSE, BitDefender, Avast, Kaspersky, Norton, and Eset. F-Secure had seen some pretty impressive reports as well... Avira is kind of one of those AV's that you hear some good things about, but it still hasn't hit much of the spotlight in my opinion... I don't know that much about it. Don't use McAfee though, jeesus lol. Another horrible AV...

▲
 ▲ ▲