Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
An interesting ... virus

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

01-26-2013, 01:55 PM #1
Florin
Team Reboot

An interesting ... virus
I just analized my cousin computer running Windows 7. It was kinda of virus, not actually a virus. But it was using his resources.

I entered msconfig and I saw something suspicious. It was a "phoenix.exe" file in C:\phoenix\ and the folder was hidden and the file was running. I deleted all that folder with those files.

Later, when I checked the Internet, I found out it was a bitcoin minerr. Interesting. I just saw that phoenix is a common bitcoin minerr. So, he was making money using these kind of techniques.

Now I know his bitcoin username and password from the mining site and I can see some JSON (? encrypted) stats.

The "virus" was ran using this code, I think:

Code:
CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "phoenix.exe", 0, True

Since I don't have any experience with bitcoin, can anybody tell me how this work and what are these bitcoin miners supposed to do? BreShiE might know more about this.

And the miner was using the graphic card and so his computer was restarting.

Thanks!

01-26-2013, 04:32 PM #2
Predator
Staff
Moderators

RE: An interesting ... virus
Bitcoin miners generate bitcoins using lots of processing power, which are a form of currency generally used on TOR related sites to buy illegal items.

01-26-2013, 04:58 PM #3
Louis
Master of the IRCs!

(01-26-2013, 04:32 PM)Predator Wrote:  Bitcoin miners generate bitcoins using lots of processing power, which are a form of currency generally used on TOR related sites to buy illegal items.

Blah, you can't say that. They're used in a lot of locations, not just on the internet. There are hotels and such out there that accept them as "real" currency. You can also get them converted to money as well. To say it's generally used to purchase illegal items is just incorrect. I mean, really, the USD or the CAD or the GBP are much more common with purchasing illegal content, so in that aspect you could claim that all currency is used for such a thing.. which is just silly. You can find almost anything you need to know here: http://bitcoin.org/
This post was last modified: 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM by Louis.

01-26-2013, 06:07 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(01-26-2013, 04:58 PM)Louis Wrote:  
(01-26-2013, 04:32 PM)Predator Wrote:  Bitcoin miners generate bitcoins using lots of processing power, which are a form of currency generally used on TOR related sites to buy illegal items.

Blah, you can't say that. They're used in a lot of locations, not just on the internet. There are hotels and such out there that accept them as "real" currency. You can also get them converted to money as well. To say it's generally used to purchase illegal items is just incorrect. I mean, really, the USD or the CAD or the GBP are much more common with purchasing illegal content, so in that aspect you could claim that all currency is used for such a thing.. which is just silly. You can find almost anything you need to know here: http://bitcoin.org/

Wasn't aware it was that far into turning into it's own universal "currency" itself. Interesting...

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

01-27-2013, 12:17 AM #5
Predator
Staff
Moderators

There is no reason to use bitcoins other than to buy something illegal.

01-27-2013, 04:33 PM #6
Louis
Master of the IRCs!

(01-27-2013, 12:17 AM)Predator Wrote:  

There is no reason to use bitcoins other than to buy something illegal.
Are you being purposely ignorant or just attempting to troll? As I stated, you can use bitcoins to purchase many things that are completely legal... Maybe you should actualy do research before making such moronic claims.

Take a look here, these are all LEGAL ways to use bitcoins. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade -- I'm sure three are many more out there that have gone unlisted.
This post was last modified: 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM by Louis.

01-27-2013, 06:41 PM #7
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Bitcoin is a peer to peer digital commodity that can be transferred instantly anywhere in the world.
It has no central authority controlling it, all transactions are carried out by the network collective.

01-27-2013, 06:57 PM #8
Louis
Master of the IRCs!

That doesn't mean it's illegal... Do your research man, you really need to learn what defines something as illegal... To use it maliciously would be illegal, to use it to purchase goods is not. Just because something is "peer to peer" does not make it illegal. I could go buy a gun at a trade show and not from a "proper" store, that does not make it illegal.
This post was last modified: 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM by Louis.

01-27-2013, 07:02 PM #9
Predator
Staff
Moderators

I'm not saying peer-to-peer makes it illegal, or that bitcoins in general are illegal. I"m saying they are most commonly used for illegal purchases.
This post was last modified: 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM by Predator.

01-27-2013, 07:10 PM #10
Louis
Master of the IRCs!

Even then you're still incorrect... I'm sure it does get used for that, but you can say the same about ANY currency...