View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
New Computer

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

04-05-2013, 01:02 AM #1
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

New Computer
So, contrary to what I posted in another thread.. I DID NOT punch my old laptop. But, I did go buy a new one. Nothing screams keep procrastinating on your homework more like setting up a new computer. Laugh

Good thing there is downtime when things are downloading.. etc.

Anyways here's basically the laptop I got:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-17.3-...m/21634589

Specs:
Quote:Processor Type: AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor
Processor Speed: 1.90 GHz
System Ram: 6 GB
Hard Drive Size: 500 GB
Laptop Screen Size: 17.3"
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7640G with 3053MB

In all honestly, it was an impulse buy. I'll PROBABLY end up taking it back and getting a new one, OR getting a new one and then taking it back. But, I'm going to play around with it at least and see what I think of this Windows 8 business.
This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 01:03 AM by KoBE.

04-05-2013, 02:03 AM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: New Computer
Haha, cool. :) Don't judge Windows 8 too quickly, there's lots of good along with some of the bad that are packaged into the idea and concept of this new OS.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

04-05-2013, 02:24 AM #3
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I already love the fact that (at least with this computer) it came with software to mount ISO's. If this computer keeps turning off my NumLock when I reboot though, we're going to have problems.

04-05-2013, 02:02 PM #4
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Not hardware related question but how do you both feel about using the Windows app store?

Is it nicely setup? Easy to use and find things that are really useful?

KoBE, I'm actually surprised at the price. It is lower that what I would get in Europe with the same money. I like the fact it comes with 6Gb or RAM.
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

04-05-2013, 02:41 PM #5
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

(04-05-2013, 02:02 PM)Nuno Wrote:  Not hardware related question but how do you both feel about using the Windows app store?

KoBE, I'm actually surprised at the price. It is lower that what I would get in Europe with the same money. I like the fact it comes with 6Gb or RAM.
One word, Horrible :|
I really can't agree with Ace on this one, most of those who use win8 try to make it a mini Win7 with adding tools to get back the start button or even enabling aero! for a mouse and keyboard Win8 is horrible at least for me, got back to win7 and couldn't be happier

@KoBE I'm happy for you haha, great pick, trinity is a killer APU with an iGPU performance that no one in the market can think to touch,3rd Generation i Series iGPU is crap, And for that price you really can't complain KoBE! If you are going to give it back and ready to pay more,then wait for Intel 4th generation iSeries, Haswell wont really deliver any noticeable performance boost but the battery performance should be better than Ivy Bridge and definitely than anything AMD can offer atm,Again great pick with great price, Congrats NormalSmile
This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM by Sam Baker.
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

04-05-2013, 02:56 PM #6
Crystalii

Windows App Store really annoys me to be honest. It has never been harder to find apps in a store before. Basically, you press let's say Games category, then all the games available in the App Store pops up there, and you have to scroll to find your game among other games. You can't even search.

Also I really hate that they removed the Search function that was available in the Start menu in earliers versions of Windows. They didn't really remove it, but they changed the location of it, and really made it worse.

For example in the past, I used to press Start, then just write whatever I wanted to start, for example "calc".

Now I have to point my mouse to the bottom right corner, then press Search, then choose if I want to search among "Apps" or "Settings" or "Files". So it is much harder to open stuff now.

04-05-2013, 04:01 PM #7
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(04-05-2013, 02:56 PM)Crystalii Wrote:  Windows App Store really annoys me to be honest. It has never been harder to find apps in a store before. Basically, you press let's say Games category, then all the games available in the App Store pops up there, and you have to scroll to find your game among other games. You can't even search.

lol, you can definitely search, I think your frustration is just that you don't know how. :)

edit: All I had to do was open the Store app, and start typing...

(04-05-2013, 02:56 PM)Crystalii Wrote:  Also I really hate that they removed the Search function that was available in the Start menu in earliers versions of Windows. They didn't really remove it, but they changed the location of it, and really made it worse.

Changed the location how? It's still in the menu itself. All you need to do is start typing lol. I find that this is 100% the same as Windows 7. Whenever I started typing the search area would be the default typing space.

(04-05-2013, 02:56 PM)Crystalii Wrote:  Now I have to point my mouse to the bottom right corner, then press Search, then choose if I want to search among "Apps" or "Settings" or "Files". So it is much harder to open stuff now.

No you don't... :) But this is a good reason for why I think people hate Windows 8. It's more limited because they can't figure out how things really work, just because it is so different. They think it's a limitation when really they just don't know how to use it.

Over time though this will become less of an issue once users become familiar with it lol.

cheers
This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

04-05-2013, 04:06 PM #8
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

(04-05-2013, 02:02 PM)Nuno Wrote:  Not hardware related question but how do you both feel about using the Windows app store?

The store is not too bad. With a lot of things Win8, I think it's sort of designed for touchscreen devices. But I find navigating a lot of things pretty easy with the mouse and keyboard. It's got pretty standard categories to break them down. You can always search for what you want as well.

(04-05-2013, 02:41 PM)Hell Guardian Wrote:  I really can't agree with Ace on this one, most of those who use win8 try to make it a mini Win7 with adding tools to get back the start button or even enabling aero! for a mouse and keyboard Win8 is horrible at least for me, got back to win7 and couldn't be happier

@KoBE I'm happy for you haha, great pick, trinity is a killer APU with an iGPU performance that no one in the market can think to touch,3rd Generation i Series iGPU is crap, And for that price you really can't complain KoBE! If you are going to give it back and ready to pay more,then wait for Intel 4th generation iSeries, Haswell wont really deliver any noticeable performance boost but the battery performance should be better than Ivy Bridge and definitely than anything AMD can offer atm,Again great pick with great price, Congrats NormalSmile

I definitely won't be trying to make it a Win7 OS. I'm going to try to get used to the new OS as best I can and hopefully it grows on me. I also don't see any point in enabling aero honestly. I've heard there are some decent keyboard shortcuts that make navigatin Win8 a lot better as well. For instance the first thing I tried was Win+D to show the desktop. I use it so many times it's hard to count. For now, I don't mind using the mouse to do much.

As for your hardware insight, thanks you! Your knowledge of hardware GREATLY exceeds mine. Just by reading that it makes me more comfortable with my buy. Honestly, the main reason I bought this over the others that I saw was because it was quad-core and the other similarly priced laptops were not. There was even more expensive ones with lesser processors that didn't interest me. One of them did have a touch screen that I almost fell for.

(04-05-2013, 02:56 PM)Crystalii Wrote:  Windows App Store really annoys me to be honest. It has never been harder to find apps in a store before. Basically, you press let's say Games category, then all the games available in the App Store pops up there, and you have to scroll to find your game among other games. You can't even search.

Also I really hate that they removed the Search function that was available in the Start menu in earliers versions of Windows. They didn't really remove it, but they changed the location of it, and really made it worse.

For example in the past, I used to press Start, then just write whatever I wanted to start, for example "calc".

Now I have to point my mouse to the bottom right corner, then press Search, then choose if I want to search among "Apps" or "Settings" or "Files". So it is much harder to open stuff now.

I have had a completely opposite experience. I've found the search to be quite easy. I even used it to install an ESPN app from the store. The search function worked well for me.

As for searching, you don't have to choose that item BEFORE you search. It searches for all three categories simultaneously. Then you can pick which category you want if you didn't wan the default (mine is Apps).

*Edit: Look at Ace sneaking in a post while I'm typing.. :P
This post was last modified: 04-05-2013, 04:09 PM by KoBE.

04-05-2013, 04:35 PM #9
Crystalii

Oh I did not know that, sorry for the misinformation Dubbio

But there is a new limitation to the Search function in general:

In the past, you could search among pictures, movies, apps, and all together. Now you will have to choose if you want to search among apps, files or settings. Takes some more time for lazy people like me, but yeah not that big limitation.

04-05-2013, 04:54 PM #10
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I guess I can see what you're saying. Although it is only the difference of a click.