• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

07-29-2013, 11:01 AM #1
smallhagrid

HDD temp monitoring...?
Never mind, thank you.
Never mind, thank you.
Never mind, thank you.
Never mind, thank you.
This post was last modified: 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM by smallhagrid.

07-29-2013, 07:51 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: HDD temp monitoring...?
What's wrong with the CLI? That's basically what Linux revolves around. If you want a GUI for everything then Linux probably isn't for you, and I'd highly suggest not trying Arch Linux.

You can configure the temps to be viewed through Conky, which is like Rainmeter for Linux.
This post was last modified: 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

07-29-2013, 08:42 PM #3
smallhagrid

Thumbs Down  RE: HDD temp monitoring...?
Never mind, thank you.
Never mind, thank you.
Never mind, thank you.
Never mind, thank you.
This post was last modified: 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM by smallhagrid.

07-29-2013, 10:53 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: HDD temp monitoring...?
I was simply making a point that Linux is less like Windows or Apple in that it's pretty much CLI-oriented; true fact. I made a valid comparison with the Arch reference as well, and you take it as 'criticism', why?

I gave an easy solution, and you make it seem like the help I tried to give, or post I made in order to become familiar with your experience on Linux was not good enough... What would make any sane person want to help you afterwards? Unsure

I do have another suggestion as a matter of fact, but I'm unsure that it would be appreciated if I were to give it to you, therefore I'm going to reconsider first...

If I was to post that way you just did now, I could go ahead and take this as criticism:
Quote:Hard drives do wear out, and SMART monitoring is built into them - and is used by a wide assortment of apps that display such info in useful ways - just not for Linux that I could find.

And think that you were implying that I did not already know this. Along with saying that it's not relevant to what you initially asked, because it's just extra info. Assumptions are more dangerous here than any of the words I put into my last post, and that's clearly depicted by the response I was given; you went overboard.

People skills apply just as well on any forum as they do in real life. You'll get farther when demonstrating them a bit and having some respect for those that take time to reply.

cheers
This post was last modified: 07-29-2013, 10:55 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲