Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
strange printing problem

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

07-29-2013, 11:04 AM #1
smallhagrid

strange printing problem
Hi Folks.
I have Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE and a very nice (but somewhat dated) HP 1320 laser printer that works fine...mostly.
It's connected via parallel (I did say 'dated' !!!).
This PC is not networked except to the cable modem.

What I'm hoping someone here knows about is how to troubleshoot problems which occur when printing from a guest OS under VMWare Player.

There's a couple of proprietary windows apps I use that for, and when I print under Player the job comes out fine & fast...then Player locks up tight as a drum.
I am able to ctrl+alt to regain input controls, but it pegs 1 CPU core to the max and the best way I've found to recover from this is to reboot, which seems quite silly to me.

I will greatly appreciate any pointers to anyplace that good info may be found on this subject.

Thanks.

07-30-2013, 09:29 AM #2
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

RE: strange printing problem
So, to clarify: You are having trouble printing from Ubuntu that is running under VMWare Player? It works fine printing from Windows, however when you print from Ubuntu, that is when it (VMWare Player) locks up?

Edit: Here is a page explaining how VMWare uses parallel ports: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/w...ices2.html

Perhaps it is not releasing the lock that it's putting on it? Or maybe there is a configuration setting you can tap into that yields better results.
This post was last modified: 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM by KoBE.

07-30-2013, 10:11 AM #3
smallhagrid

RE: strange printing problem
Thanks KoBE.
Correct:
Quote:So, to clarify: You are having trouble printing from Ubuntu that is running under VMWare Player? It works fine printing from Windows, however when you print from Ubuntu, that is when it (VMWare Player) locks up?

Excellent pointer, thank you very much:
Quote:Edit: Here is a page explaining how VMWare uses parallel ports: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/w...ices2.html

Perhaps it is not releasing the lock that it's putting on it? Or maybe there is a configuration setting you can tap into that yields better results.
I shall examine that straightaway !!!