Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
LED Screen Broke

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

08-06-2013, 08:59 AM #1
BreShiE
Knowledge Is Power

LED Screen Broke
I have the HP Pavilion G6 1336sa and today, unfortunately the screen has broke. I'm not quote sure why. I have dropped and banged the machine several times with no hardware damage until now. I've had a few software errors because of it though, like the screen getting all scrambled up and then restarting (tbh that could be the hard drive thinking about it) but other than that it's been fine until now.

So, my question is; is it possible for the screen to crack without any visible damage until the screen got hot enough to cause major visible damage? None of the screen is viewable now and I heard a pop sound. The back of the screen was quite hot in one area but not where the crack source seemed to come from. It was stood sideways next to my Ned (to stop it overheating while I'm not using it - my room is at about 30 degrees).

Is this possible? I can continue using my PC when I connect it to my TV but for now I'm on my phone.

Here's a picture:

This post was last modified: 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM by BreShiE.

"It was pretty impressive to watch a missile fly down an air vent, but couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people?"

08-08-2013, 11:31 PM #2
Predator
Staff
Moderators

RE: LED Screen Broke
(08-06-2013, 08:59 AM)BreShiE Wrote:  I have the HP Pavilion G6 1336sa and today, unfortunately the screen has broke. I'm not quote sure why. I have dropped and banged the machine several times with no hardware damage until now. I've had a few software errors because of it though, like the screen getting all scrambled up and then restarting (tbh that could be the hard drive thinking about it) but other than that it's been fine until now.

So, my question is; is it possible for the screen to crack without any visible damage until the screen got hot enough to cause major visible damage? None of the screen is viewable now and I heard a pop sound. The back of the screen was quite hot in one area but not where the crack source seemed to come from. It was stood sideways next to my Ned (to stop it overheating while I'm not using it - my room is at about 30 degrees).

Is this possible? I can continue using my PC when I connect it to my TV but for now I'm on my phone.

Here's a picture:

I'm no professional but I've seen several screens get broken just like that by different means.

I've not looked into LED screens, but assuming they function similar to LDC screens, I'd say yes, it's possible to *break* your screen to the point where it might overheat without noticing. LED bulbs get hot but the heat is dissipated by heat sinks that suck away the heat from the light source itself. It's possible that you could of dropped somehow damaged the heat syncs, or a few of the LEDs themselves... I don't think damaging a few of the LEDs would cause that sort of issue since (may be wrong) they're designed to all work even if one is broken. It could also be a connector somewhere that's either came loose or unplugged.

As long as you don't have major and noticeable physical damage on the laptop (Cracks large chips etc, anything showing you've dropped it) I'd recommend attempting to talk to either HP or if you bought it from a store like BestBuy, talk to them first. Dont say anything about having ever dropped it etc, even if it was way before the issue, because even if it's a manufacturer defect they'll use you saying that to deny fixing it for free. Just make sure you have some kind of proof of purchase. If they get it and find it could have been a manufacturer fault they should replace it (If it's under warranty. Be sure to double check. Even if the retail warranty is expired, the manufacturers generally have one that last longer but only covering their faults. If they decide that it's your fault it broke, they'll offer to fix it for a fee, or send it back to you and you'll probably have to pay for shipping both ways. TBH it'd probably be cheaper to have an independent shop/person/business do it because it would probably be cheaper. But it's always a good bet to call and ask, I've had HTC replace a few phones of mine that broke out-of-warranty because their warranty lasts longer than Verizons. You'll just have to make a few calls or send a few e-mails.

08-12-2013, 11:42 AM #3
BreShiE
Knowledge Is Power

That's what I was thinking. What if because I've banged it around a few times, one of the heat syncs got broke? The screen still gets hot in one area (which isn't even the main break).

"It was pretty impressive to watch a missile fly down an air vent, but couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people?"

08-12-2013, 02:04 PM #4
Predator
Staff
Moderators

I'd just recommend just trying to see if it can be fixed under warranty or something. Not much else you can do except use an external display.

08-13-2013, 01:33 PM #5
BreShiE
Knowledge Is Power

(08-12-2013, 02:04 PM)Predator Wrote:  I'd just recommend just trying to see if it can be fixed under warranty or something. Not much else you can do except use an external display.

There's no warranty left. It's 1 1/2 old now.

08-22-2013, 12:48 PM #6
Predator
Staff
Moderators

(08-13-2013, 01:33 PM)BreShiE Wrote:  
(08-12-2013, 02:04 PM)Predator Wrote:  I'd just recommend just trying to see if it can be fixed under warranty or something. Not much else you can do except use an external display.

There's no warranty left. It's 1 1/2 old now.

Well, I'd just try getting it fixed then, or just buying a new laptop Whistle