Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Suggestion: Make Hyperlinks More Prominent

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

09-02-2013, 09:50 AM #1
Null
Moderators

Suggestion: Make Hyperlinks More Prominent
Personally I find the hyperlinks very difficult to identify unless I hover my mouse over each word or look very closely. Does anybody else agree that the hyperlinks should be more prominent?

This sentence includes several hyperlinks but can you spot them? 

I do not know that this is the most aesthetic solution but in my posts I tend to make hyperlinks bold so that they are much more prominent.

09-02-2013, 02:57 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: Suggestion: Make Hyperlinks More Prominent
How about now? I've changed the color so they stand out a bit more in their normal state. Hover makes them underlined now as well. They were a bit hard to see before.
This post was last modified: 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-03-2013, 06:18 PM #3
Null
Moderators

Hyperlinks in posts are much more legible now, albeit less aesthetic.

It is unfortunate that every link on the website has changed in appearance, the aesthetic sacrifice was not really necessary in my opinion; although having said that, the consistency is good and i am used to the new colour by now.

Cheers bud.

09-04-2013, 03:45 PM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Hey guys, I know I've been off and on, but I'm finally getting poop in order. Hopefully I'll be more consitent with my posting.

Ace, we could add this to showthread.css:
Code:
.post_content a{
    font-weight:bold;
}

This should only bold the links in threads. Not everything else.

09-04-2013, 11:49 PM #5
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

Yeah, I just went with a quick fix, narrowing that down would be better. I didn't realize or notice that it had changed the threadlist links as well as all the other links on the forum, wasn't thinking.

I will add this to my to-do list for tomorrow. I won't be available from 5AM to about 11PM tomorrow, but I should have a few minutes after that. Friday I've got work again starting at 5AM, but nothing after that, maybe just a few loose ends I have to tie up with various things before next week because I'm doing AMX training, and that needs to be figured out still.

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-06-2013, 12:16 AM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

There, I fixed the links. All should be bold now within post content. Otherwise, I could even make them purple and avoid the bold. It wouldn't affect anything but the post content too, which includes signatures with the post submitted of course.
This post was last modified: 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-10-2013, 06:21 PM #7
Spirit
One with Spirits

Alright since I came a bit late, I don't really know/remember how the links used to look like, this now looks good...
However, making links bold and colored isn't enough imo, you still can't say if THIS is a link, unless my entire text specifies it as a link.

I presonally would either put an underline or even better an image stating that it's a link...

09-11-2013, 01:02 AM #8
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(09-10-2013, 06:21 PM)m0ral Wrote:  Alright since I came a bit late, I don't really know/remember how the links used to look like, this now looks good...
However, making links bold and colored isn't enough imo, you still can't say if THIS is a link, unless my entire text specifies it as a link.

I presonally would either put an underline or even better an image stating that it's a link...

Sure, but part of the judgement should be made by the original poster in that, if it is an important link, that they make it as prominent as possible in their post. If it doesn't stand out to them when they re-read their post, then they probably can't expect that anybody else will find it either.

This is an identical principle, with driving to work for instance. I'm not going to just assume that the people around me know how to drive, and some kind of signaling for would help me (along with all the other drivers), so that I know they are going to stop or turn for example. That way they aren't assuming that I'll just stop whenever they stop immediately without warning, or some guy doesn't even signal before changing into my lane... If you want someone to know *something*, then you make it obvious/clear as to what your main intention is; part of YOUR responsibility in my opinion, not mine.

In this case that is the difference between the reader and the writer, as with any other concept on a forum (understanding/misunderstanding, etc...). The forum here has always put a level of trust into its users; we don't treat members like incapable pre-teen children, we have some trust or expectation (or hope), that you can manage basic things.

I could make links embedded beside firework gifs and the whole ribbon and wrapped up kind of deal, but I think it would be pretty silly, embarrassing, and insulting to all members here that we'd have to put that much detail into links. I just don't see what else you could do with links without making them underlined and a whole new different color, which would look kind of strange to me, and perhaps that I'm so accustomed to the blue by now.

Just my two cents (that I probably had in my pocket for a while). Laugh

edit: Looking at the quoted text of yours in my post, I have no issue seeing that link. If that's what you think it takes to make a link more noticable in your post, and you have a reason for it, then that's a judgement call that you'll have to make. If it's that important though, you can make your own effects if you want.

LINK: [http://test.com]

You'll notice in my posts that I put links in bullet points at the end of my post or after a certain segment of text. I'm not saying it has to be this way for others who post, I'm just saying that I found this the most effective way of providing content and links in my posts, because then they aren't having to click links halfway through reading a post or going back and having to re-find them, which is really annoying. It also helps with idea organization, I would like them to read what I have posted, before they go out and take information from the links I post, because I usually have something to say about the links I'm referencing.

cheers
This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 01:12 AM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲