4K Video

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

09-15-2013, 12:15 AM #1
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

4K Video
So there's been a debate about this for a while because I'm partially in the media industry with what technology I work with... What most don't understand is that when 4K capable devices came out, there really was a limited number of things that you could actually use to display 4K resolution content. Off the top of my head, the first would have probably been a computer, being transmitted onto a projector capable of 4K resolution (only a high end and probably one of the more expensive projectors). There are more devices becoming mainstream however now, moreso than there was a year ago when Sony first came out with their $25,000 4K TV which was promoted at Cedia 2012. (Youtube is actually now supporting 4K video for those of you who don't know yet.)

This will be a bigger thing once we either come out with much better video compression and encoding, OR, the standard for disk space becomes raised by maybe 2-10x. One of the first 4K demo content put out there, a video/movie, is about 330GB alone:

http://timescapes.org/products/default.aspx

And you can buy it for roughly $270. Happy1 It would be a waste of time though if you have a device that only supports 1080p or 720p though because that is going to be scaled down from 4K to 1080p or 720p anyways, just so you know. (You'd be surprised how many people out there think that just because they have a 1080p TV it makes a difference if they are only receiving component video or video content lesser than 1080p lol.)

Anyways, I was looking around for some free content that I could download, just so that I have a video in case I need a high resolution video for a demo to one of my customers, or I'm testing a high resolution projector in the future... I found some now, but this would probably be one of the best ones if I felt like spending almost $300.

Just thought I'd share.
This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 05:23 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-15-2013, 01:03 AM #2
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

RE: 4K Video
I haven't even heard of 4k devices. Sounds like a technology that I wouldn't use until it became mainstream. For me, there's no sense in having a 4k capable device with nothing to display on it. :P

09-15-2013, 01:46 AM #3
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(09-15-2013, 01:03 AM)KoBE Wrote:  I haven't even heard of 4k devices. Sounds like a technology that I wouldn't use until it became mainstream. For me, there's no sense in having a 4k capable device with nothing to display on it. :P

At the same time this is the way it is with most average users out there. It's funny how many people see that Youtube has 4K, and they go to click the "Original HD" option in the settings, when viewing the video on a 720 or 1080p monitor, then proceed to say it looks no different or it still looks crap lol. People have absolutely no clue.

4K actually looks incredible though when you finally get to see a 4K resolution on a 4K capable device, and on a 4K capable "link". For instance, you won't get 4K through component video or VGA, those are typically lower quality interfaces, as opposed to HDMI or DVI, or maybe even DisplayPort.

It is a fact that most people don't have a clue at all though... Then as soon as they see something, through non-sufficient conditions to display 4K video for instance, they assume they are the expert and think they know what they are talking about based on their observations; they don't.

If you sell somebody a 1080p monitor for instance, and they are only viewing 720p video sources, 99% wouldn't be able to tell the difference (depending on how far they are away from the display, AND, how large the display is, because these are a huge factor as well).
This post was last modified: 09-15-2013, 01:48 AM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-16-2013, 03:14 AM #4
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Good post. Learning a lot here about the screen differences. I fall into that category of people who has difficulty in telling apart the improvements or choosing something better in terms of image quality. :)
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)