09-24-2013, 10:05 PM #1
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

CSAW CTF 2013 - deeeeeeaaaaaadbeeeeeeeeeef
Challenge: deeeeeeaaaaaadbeeeeeeeeeef - 200 Points
Stats: Solved by 224 teams.

For this challenge the first thing I did was as most would do, open the image in an image viewer program (specifically the Windows default image viewer, nothing fancy.) I didn't see anything eye-catching, and when viewing the file in a hex editor I didn't see anything immediately out of the ordinary either, there was nothing packed in with the PNG, it looked as a normal PNG would look, with lots of arbitrary junk data, and apparently indicating the image was taken from an IPhone 5. I didn't realise how important this would be for me to notice at that point in time, but it definitely helped.

Next, I used a program that utilizes 'libpng', a very reputable and extensible PNG reference library that has existed and been tested for some years now, to analyze the more technical data for the PNG.

I got a notification that read something about the CRC in the IHDR chunk (the first few bytes of the PNG): "Incorrect crc for IHDR chunk (is c1d0b3e4, should be fcc410a8)"

I then tried changing this integer value with a hex editor at offset 0x1D to the following 4 bytes {0xFC 0xC4 0x10 0xA8}, and in doing so actually gave me more errors, including CRC errors for IDAT chunks, and there were a lot of them. Coincidentally, I decided to make sure that I was heading in the right direction and making sure that the CRC expected was actually the original, and perhaps it was changed deliberately for this challenge. So I checked the data that was currently there in the image header:

- 8 bits/sample (normal)
- truecolor+alpha
- non-interlaced

The one other thing that didn't seem right, judging by the fact that the tEXt chunk points to an IPhone 5 running IOS 6.1.4, was that the image size was 3264x1681. This does not match any of the standard aspect ratios: 16:10, 16:9, 4:3 etc... And I also figured that editing this image in most image editors to crop it down to a portion of that full image would have possibly removed some of the remains of what the IPhone embedded within that image as a 'mark', upon resaving. (Everybody loves to advertise their copyright in there, you know how it goes.)

Through more research an IPhone 5's camera roll aspect ratio is 4:3. The calculation gave me the idea that the image had somehow been chopped down height-wise.

3264*3/4 = 2448
2448 != 1681

Now, obviously there is no way to get that pixel data back once the image is chopped data-wise, so I tried changing the image size in the header from 3264x1681 to 3264x2448, and by opening the image again in some image viewer, voila! The key was written on the whiteboard the entire time. :)

Revisiting that hint they gave for this challenge part-way through my investigation also backed up this theory, but it wasn't until I edited the header to match a 4:3 aspect ratio that it was apparent for what that down arrow really meant. All I knew was that this had nothing to do with width or anything horizontal.

There were exactly 2 bytes that needed changing in order to solve this challenge in the end, starting at offset 0x16, that indicate the height of the image (a 16 bit value). The values, originally, {0x06 0x91}, that needed to be changed to any sufficiently large value big enough to view that 'hidden' key on the whiteboard. I just matched it up to a 4:3 aspect ratio and changed those bytes to {0x09 0x90}.

Provided the Image just in case others would want to follow along and do what I did.

Download Image (Too large for attachment: 5.92MB): http://www.mediafire.com/?aqxwi0zy6e8dl0o
This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 10:05 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲