Files Recovery?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

02-07-2014, 03:45 PM #1
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Files Recovery?
Hello TLF

First of all sorry for my sudden absence,If you haven't heard we have a military coup and everything is worse than north Korea in here.

Anyway, I need your help with something i have deleted many big files (8-13gb each) from my HDD by mistake,I have tried recovering them with many apps but all show the size of these files as 0 bytes!

I have heard its a common problem with such big files and NTFS,I can see the files there in these apps but when i try to recover them its just...0 bytes!

Is there anything i can do to recover them? Please note i never formatted the Drives,Just deleted the files.

Cheers
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

02-07-2014, 08:32 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: Files Recovery?
By the time you've tried all of these programs, the further that information is lost in the wind... You're most likely at a loss by now. You can't waste time with downloads and other installs, because the more action you take on your PC, the more impossible it becomes to recover that lost data. Because these were big files, the chances of that data being overwritten are larger.
This post was last modified: 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

02-07-2014, 09:06 PM #3
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Damn,Thanks ace you saved me a lot of time

02-07-2014, 09:48 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

There's a program I use, it's called "Recuva," but it works best if you already have it downloaded BEFORE, you lose your files, because then the download process and installation doesn't have a chance to mess with any of that data which can lead to no-recovery.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

02-08-2014, 04:16 AM #5
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I've used Recuva personally to recover small files successfully. I'm not sure about large files but I will say the more you use the hard drive, the more you write. The more you write, the more you miss the chance of recovering. If you can afford to take the hard drive out of the PC, then do it.

02-08-2014, 03:56 PM #6
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

The problem is i'm indeed finding some of the files disappearing from the list which means they were getting overwritten, But i can still see the rest, the thing is even from day one this showed up in Recuva.

Recuva seemed to be the only app that actually shows the real size of the files instead of reporting them as 0 bytes,However it can't recover them,And with a quick search on piriform forums,Revealed that many people are having the same issue with files bigger than 4gb Bored

02-08-2014, 04:43 PM #7
Florin
Team Reboot

Maybe as a last resort, booting the system live, from RAM and applying there some programs might be better (in a PE environment).

Or better, if you have another computer/space, just make an "image" dd-like of your hard drive and try to use some powerful tools offline on that image, some linux forensics tool perhaps. This way, you're not overwriting them, which is good and maximizing your chances!

02-08-2014, 09:10 PM #8
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Doing that on a 2TB HDD that was almost full seemes really hard,and none of my other PCs or my friends have a bigger drive.
And for recovery through RAM,Should i just use an app like win2usb to install on it and go from there? Or should i just download a copy intended to be booted live? I never tried something with windows unfortunately i always do that with Ubuntu.

12-10-2014, 10:25 PM #9
batool100

You can try anyone of these recovery files, may be this will recover your lost data: http://rawalpindiforum.pk/forumdisplay.php?fid=121