View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Copy/Paste to different computers

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

03-06-2014, 04:39 PM #1
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Copy/Paste to different computers
Today I was working using my work computer. Well, I was doing some programming for work and needed a code snippet that I had written previously on my personal computer. That's when I thought, wouldn't it be nice if I could just copy/paste from my personal computer to my work computer?There are obviously many different ways I could get this done. PasteBin, remote into my work computer, email a copy, etc... But all of those methods contain a variable amount of excess work that could be eliminated if I had a program that I could pull up, copy/paste into, then have the same program pulled up on my other PC and copy/paste from.

What do you all think? Sound like a practical app?

03-06-2014, 07:40 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: Copy/Paste to different computers
Why not a VPN? Or are you trying to come up with a self-contained dropbox style app?

Personally I would set up a VPN, but just because I wouldn't want to consolidate everything into a specific folder or remember to include a specific folder for access to it through a program (if you provide the ability to select shared folders on your hard drive).

I think an app like this would be cool if you could have your own share key, and share with others that you want to have accessing your code folders with read/write or read permissions. A UserCP for instance to add/remove your files, and control over who gets to view specific code snippets. Enable and disable certain users that already have your key...

I think it would be cool. Almost like source control, but not specifically more geared towards (full) projects.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2014, 07:41 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-06-2014, 08:38 PM #3
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I'm not talking about a dropbox style app... I'm thinking more like a portable app that you can do a quick copy/paste from one computer to the other. Also, I'm talking about TEXT, not files.

For instance, if for whatever reason I'm using Computer A, but have an article or something on Computer B. If I want to copy/paste the text from B to A, I could simply copy/paste the text into the app that's on Computer B, then receive the paste on Computer A through the app.

To put it into a different perspective, you could maybe think of it as a temporary pastebin type service. The exception being that the app handles everything in one spot. So there is no need to send URLs, or an email.. etc.

03-06-2014, 10:36 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(03-06-2014, 08:38 PM)KoBE Wrote:  I'm not talking about a dropbox style app... I'm thinking more like a portable app that you can do a quick copy/paste from one computer to the other. Also, I'm talking about TEXT, not files.

For instance, if for whatever reason I'm using Computer A, but have an article or something on Computer B. If I want to copy/paste the text from B to A, I could simply copy/paste the text into the app that's on Computer B, then receive the paste on Computer A through the app.

To put it into a different perspective, you could maybe think of it as a temporary pastebin type service. The exception being that the app handles everything in one spot. So there is no need to send URLs, or an email.. etc.

I'm still not understanding this fully, files or text; still data. But a client/server type deal where you can pipe a snippet through to the program on computer B as a one time thing?
This post was last modified: 03-06-2014, 10:38 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-06-2014, 11:14 PM #5
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Right, it would be a one-way type transaction.

I am on computer A. I need code (or any text for that matter) from computer B.

I can either email/pastebin/etc the code OR have an application that can do the whole process for me. Think of it this way. If you want to upload a picture to an image hosting site. You can take a screenshot, paste it in paint, save it, go to the website, upload it, then receive the image url. OR, you can have an application do all of those steps at once.

Basically, if for some reason I'm working on two different computers: I am wanting a quick way to grab text from one computer and use it on another computer without having to email it to myself.

03-07-2014, 04:42 PM #6
Florin
Team Reboot

It would work only with internet based on tcp and knowing both ips?

03-07-2014, 06:22 PM #7
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I'd probably have some sort of server that handled everything. Most likely in PHP on my dev site to start.