Project ideas?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

07-20-2014, 08:37 AM #1
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Project ideas?
Hello TLF,

Sorry for my repeated absence,I miss being active here,and talking to Kobe and annoying Ace ( I love this guy Happy1 ),I know you both know what's going on over here.

Long story short,I have given up on my cause,too much death too much killing and the world is blind to what is going on in Egypt by the military coup generals,so no more protests no more seeing death every day.

I'm leaving the country (hopefully to Germany) once and for all,so until i prepare my papers to study there i have few month to get back to programming,I'm extremely rusty and i even started from VB again I'm just making a small utility that is like a mini version of TuneUP (not nearly as powerful ofc just a proof of concept).

Now after i'm done i have a crossway,I either get back to C++ or go straight to java,Either way i need to work on a project that will touch many aspects of the language so i can grow my knowledge with it.

So what should i do? I need your help.
And i promise to stay active this time (Unless i'm dead or arrested... Whistle )
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

07-20-2014, 10:31 AM #2
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

RE: Project ideas?
HG, as always we'll welcome you back! I'm sure even Ace misses you :P

What would be your reasoning for switching to Java? Going from one framework-dependent language to the other doesn't really make much of a difference in my opinion. Unless you have a specific reason or simply prefer java. C++ has some advantages, but the learning curve IMO is much greater. I'd consider what type applications you are wanting to create and base your language off of that.

Now, for project ideas. I don't think there is ever a single project that can touch on ALL areas of programming. What you might do is start doing little projects. Create a text-based game, a youtube downloader, a password vault. Do little things like that and gain a little bit of knowledge from each one. You could also go through the TLF Programming challenges ( ones like this: http://tech.reboot.pro/showthread.php?tid=3882 ) and try a few of those out.

07-20-2014, 10:44 AM #3
Null
Moderators

Check out this Mega project list.

Quote:A list of practical projects that anyone can solve in any programming language (See solutions). These projects are divided in multiple categories, and each category has it's own folder.
This post was last modified: 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM by Null.

07-20-2014, 11:31 AM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

07-20-2014, 07:34 PM #5
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

@KoBE i will study IT so i wanted a language that is popular among employers,My bet has always been C++ or Java, What do you think?

@Blast ty, i will have a look at the list.

07-25-2014, 05:30 PM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

From my experience it's not C++ or C. It's been .NET, and more often than not ASP.NET for web applications, or desktop applications with plain old C# or VB.NET. Lots of businesses need tools to manage data.

You'll sometimes see Java, and rarely C++ or C, unless you're a very experienced programmer working on a larger project that is more specific.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

07-25-2014, 06:13 PM #7
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Where I work most software is actually Java based. (Java 6 at that *shiver*)
Knowing one of these three (C#, C++ or Java) should make it pretty easy to get into any of the other though.
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

07-25-2014, 09:11 PM #8
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

@Ace this is really interesting to me because it has always seemed to me as if employers look at .net programmers as "noobs" or programmers that are just good for tiny projects o_O

@Mazzn Good to know, Do you guys work on windows or also android?

And on both of your recommendations i think i will definitely have a look at C# as well.

07-25-2014, 09:21 PM #9
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Hate to say it but the whole company still runs XP...

We're not developing software, we just use it, but I thought it's still relevant. Our management system for example is written in Java and delivered by one of the biggest IT companies in Germany.
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

07-25-2014, 11:55 PM #10
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Ouch,looking at that fugly blue taskbar all day must hurt!

But if they are going to stick to windows (which should be apparent by now) then why java? isn't it slow for that kind of work? and what are the pros of using java on windows if you are not planning to move to another operating system anyway?