View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
New HD time

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

08-07-2014, 08:07 AM #1
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

New HD time
Some of you may have seen the post I made *****ing about my old HD that crashed. Well, I swapped an old HD from a Win7 laptop I had and my Win8 laptop still doesn't seem to like it. It will hang from time to time for no apparent reason. Apps will be running and suddenly stop, that's when I know the whole system will be hung up because I can't bring up File Explorer, or anything. Give it a few minutes and everything will be back to normal. I even re-installed Windows 8 and it is still being weird.

So, I've decided to buy a new HD and put that old HD back into my Windows 7 laptop.

Here are two HD's that I've narrowed it down to:
(SSD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820147247

(HDD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822236564

I don't really need the extra 130 GB that comes with the HDD, and from what I hear the $30 for speed upgrade is well worth it. So I think I'm leaning toward the SSD.

Any hardware buffs out there care to provide some insight? Hell Guardian, you out there?

08-07-2014, 08:04 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: New HD time
I would go with the SSD regardless because of the reliability and speed factor.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

08-10-2014, 10:34 AM #3
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

I typed a lengthy reply but power went off before clicking send Sneaky

For that price the 840 is a steal but its mainly because the 850 has been released, Samsung's and Intel's drives offer the best reliability around.

You should definitely get the SSD,and for storage you can just get an internal HDD and buy a cheap USB rack for it.

However while this discounted price is great, i would suggest going with the Pro series as it comes with 5 years warranty from Newegg and 10 years from Samsung if you are concerned about the cells dying too quickly for your usage if you are going to use it in heavy I/O operations.

Congrats already on the great speed boost, you will never be able to use an HDD again...believe me Both Thumbs Up
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

08-10-2014, 07:24 PM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Thanks for the input. I did go ahead and order that SSD. Can't wait to see it in action.