View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Windows 10

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-02-2014, 06:51 PM #1
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Windows 10
Has anyone else downloaded the preview? Against most of the so-called "professional" advice, I am running experimental software on my main machine as my only os!

(Only because I'm building a new PC next week, but still tempted to stick with 10 on it)

So far I've only had one bug/crash. I changed what port my portable HDD was plugged into and I got a BSOD.. Well, a frowny face that told me my computer had to restart. I kind of miss the whole "You dun goofed" wall of text.

The start menu is awesome, and I'm excited for Cortana integration. The general look/feel of the OS is nice too. It runs pretty smooth on my outdated PC, and it seems to be slightly faster than Win 7. However that could just be due to the fresh-format.

Multiple desktops are nice to keep things organized for school/work .

I haven't gotten quite used to the new way snap works yet, but I like the 4-corner snap and the "recommendations" for the second half of the screen. Curious how well it works on 2 monitors though.

I like the "lockscreen" where I can have apps display on there like a tablet. It's nice being able to see my calendar events (painfully kind-of synced with my google calendar) .

10-02-2014, 08:53 PM #2
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

RE: Windows 10
Sounds awesome! I have a few spare laptops that I can put to use! I can't wait to see what changes will come after as well. The jump from 8 to 8.1 was a real improvement IMO. So, I'm sure there are still features that they haven't unveiled yet.
This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 08:53 PM by KoBE.

10-03-2014, 08:27 AM #3
DDAoN
Master o' da Interwebs

I'm installing 10 on a VM right now, but I reserve judgement for after I've played with it. 8.1 was as much a disappointment for me as 8, but still an improvement. I've not done any looking into anything after 8.1, expecting to stick to 7 for a while (like XP). Got my fingers crossed for 10, though. :)

Sadly, the installation is taking a while, but that probably has to do with my running 3 VMs with 3 cores each. ^^'

Now, you mentioned that the Start Menu was awesome. So, I gotta ask, since the installation is take so long, is it an actual Start Menu or the Start Screen?

*runs around like a kid in a candy/toy store*
Please bare in mind that no individual is all-knowing on anything.  Take the advice and knowledge of everyone and make your own knowledge database.

10-03-2014, 09:48 AM #4
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

I've been able to boot it twice, using it for a total of 25 minutes...

The window scaling for high res screens is a nice feature. I'm running a 4k screen and two 1080p screens on the sides, and when you move a window from one of the lower resolution screens to a high res one, it automatically scales up and vice versa.

Also I've noticed a taskbar on each screen - whatever you prefer, I'm good with just one.

Didn't have time to look at aero snap extensively, but it seemed to keep the window size whenever I moved it away from that corner again... Can be useful but also annoying. Especially when moving something from the 4k to a 1080p screen. I'm sure there's a way to make it snap back to the old size.

The cmd now has copy and paste with CTRL + C and V! How long have we been waiting?

Then I had a bluescreen when using the cmd (just opened it up), after reboot the "cd .." command crashed it again. My HDD made a nice clicky noise and died :( I knew that it was faulty beforehand, but expected at least a whole day of operation :P Oh well.

Oh, yes. The start menu is an actual start menu. (But you can also select the Win 8 style start screen)
It has the search bar and classic elements (recently used programs etc.), as well as tiles to the right, which you can reorder, resize or even remove entirely! I like it, although I'm still not a huge fan of the colorful tiles.
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

10-03-2014, 09:58 AM #5
DDAoN
Master o' da Interwebs

*sugar-hyped kid in a candy/toy store*

It seems I killed my new VM during the install, so I had to start from scratch. This time I've turned off the other VMs, so I'm hoping for a smoother ride. Still slow on the install. Did yall have a quick install or a slow one?

As for the Start Menu, I can't wait to check it out. I wouldn't have such a horrible time with 8(.1) if I had a second monitor that was touchscreen and could configure the OS to display the tiles only on that screen, but bleh. Third-party programs were definitely the saving grace of 8(.1), IMO.

I also got a 1080p and a 4k screen, though I usually don't use the 4k for my computer (too big, I prefer multiple smaller screens), so I'll check out the Aero Snap tonight (after my second job), as well as the new CMD. I've gotten so use to not being able to do that in CMD that I never try anymore. Here's my question on the CMD, other than the copy/paste, does it still operate like the original CMD, or have they added new functionality/features to it?

Edit:
It seems to have gotten stuck on "Getting devices ready 28%". Did anyone have this problem happen when yall installed? The first time I tried, it ended up crashing my VMware after about an hour. Almost at an hour now with it just stuck. :S

Edit:
Figured it out. It appears, just like Windows 8(.1), you can't install with certain...non-generic hardware. After removing the NICs and the audio card, it was able to finish.

First impressions, major improvement over 8, starting with the Start Menu (Screen) being interchangeable.

I can't say I like the default theme (just like 8(.1)) which is too "sharp". XP, Vista, and 7 all have a more fluid layout that sat far better with my eyes. When I first saw it in 8, I was reminded of a "crisper" 98. ^^'

No issues with the CMD crashing the VM, though the OS, as a whole, is very slow on the VM, though that may also be caused by my RDC to the host from across town. I'll get a better feel for it after my second job.

I did have the OS lock-up on me, where I couldn't do anything inside the VM, but everything seemed to still be running. This happened while I was on lunch and had locked my computer, so nothing was happening to cause it.

I've tried playing with adding NICs to get network access, but every time I add one, the VM won't boot past the Windows loading screen. I'm thinking it's an incompatibility between VMware Workstation 10 and Windows 10. Supposedly, VMware Workstation 11 will be support for Windows 10 by default.

I'll get to play with it more this weekend (I hope), but it's already giving me a better impression than 8, straight out-of-the-box. ^^
This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 03:04 PM by DDAoN.
Please bare in mind that no individual is all-knowing on anything.  Take the advice and knowledge of everyone and make your own knowledge database.

10-03-2014, 11:38 PM #6
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Another little known feature I discovered and like.. Right click the start button. All utilities I always have to go hunting for in a easy place.

Did I mention ctrl + v on cmd? Because that's seriously the best improvement ever.

I seem to be getting some minor clipping and graphical errors on facebook videos. Youtube and local files seem to be fine so I'm not sure if it's FB, chrome, or W10. Anyone else ?
This post was last modified: 10-04-2014, 12:10 AM by Predator.

10-04-2014, 09:47 AM #7
DDAoN
Master o' da Interwebs

No issues with Facebook videos on my install, at least as far as watching them is concerned. I still don't have audio working. :(

A note on CMD, the Ctrl+A also works, for when you need to copy a full screen of content. :)

I'm sure it's just my VM, but it is still rather slow (8 min. 43 sec. boot time) despite my no longer connecting through RDC to the parent machine. It's got the same configuration as my 8(.1) VMs (4GB RAM, 100GB HDD, 2 Dual-Core CPUs). Furthermore, I had to "break" VMware to get the NICs working.

I think Windows 10 may be restricting certain drivers from loading. At least, I don't know enough about OS operations to come up with anything else. The drivers are good, since they're the same applied to all my other VMs, including 8 and 8.1, it's just 10 that is disliking them. They all list in the Device Manager as being properly installed, and I've tried swapping of different drivers without any luck.

Since it's an initial tech release, I'm not concerned with such minor issues. I've no doubt it's an incompatibility with VMware and the OS that will be resolved in time. Just wanted to give a heads up about potential problems that might be encountered if you want to run it as a VM. ^^

10-04-2014, 12:11 PM #8
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(10-03-2014, 09:48 AM)Mazzn Wrote:  I've been able to boot it twice, using it for a total of 25 minutes...

The window scaling for high res screens is a nice feature. I'm running a 4k screen and two 1080p screens on the sides, and when you move a window from one of the lower resolution screens to a high res one, it automatically scales up and vice versa.

Also I've noticed a taskbar on each screen - whatever you prefer, I'm good with just one.

Didn't have time to look at aero snap extensively, but it seemed to keep the window size whenever I moved it away from that corner again... Can be useful but also annoying. Especially when moving something from the 4k to a 1080p screen. I'm sure there's a way to make it snap back to the old size.

The cmd now has copy and paste with CTRL + C and V! How long have we been waiting?

Then I had a bluescreen when using the cmd (just opened it up), after reboot the "cd .." command crashed it again. My HDD made a nice clicky noise and died :( I knew that it was faulty beforehand, but expected at least a whole day of operation :P Oh well.

Oh, yes. The start menu is an actual start menu. (But you can also select the Win 8 style start screen)
It has the search bar and classic elements (recently used programs etc.), as well as tiles to the right, which you can reorder, resize or even remove entirely! I like it, although I'm still not a huge fan of the colorful tiles.

That taskbar on each screen can be one with multiple monitor displays on Windows 8/8.1 too. It's in the settings. With CMD prompt, I'm used to enabling quick edit and using the right mouse click to copy a selection :), although the up and down arrow keys help me navigate to previously used commands as well.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

10-04-2014, 01:01 PM #9
Predator
Staff
Moderators

My boot time is less than 30 seconds on this old machine, pretty nice.

10-08-2014, 04:36 PM #10
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Interesting things seem to be aligned. Thanks for sharing.

That copy and paste is surely long overdue. It seems that the developers are finally understanding who is their target audience that makes or breaks their products.. Laugh
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)