View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
My New PC!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-08-2014, 05:04 PM #1
Predator
Staff
Moderators

My New PC!
It's a custom build from a local computer shop. Not exactly what I was going to do but I didn't feel like a 2hr drive to get parts.

http://www.3dmark.com/pcm7/871550 <-- Benchmark score.

Card - Radeon R7 240 (Going to upgrade to an R9)

MOBO Asus A55BM-plus

CPU - AMD A10 5800k (Stock 3.8ghz, I'm running it at 4.3ghz stable & cool with no issues.)

8gb DDR3 ram at 1600mhz
500gb enterprise-class hard drive (No idea why it came with an enterprise-class drive and if there's any benefit from it or if it's just some fancy marketing term)
This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 05:10 PM by Predator.

10-09-2014, 07:44 AM #2
DDAoN
Master o' da Interwebs

RE: My New PC!
*hides it in his closet, whistling innocently*

When you upgrade the graphics card, can you give me the current one? All I got is a HD 5970. Still a beast with most modern games, but it was pushed with ME3 and more games are meeting that quality. ^^'

It's a good build. I'd've gone with a bit more RAM, but, like my storage, I'm always running out of it. :S

As for consumer vs. enterprise HDDs, take a look at http://lifehacker.com/why-enterprise-har...1476333889. The enterprise HDDs are less likely to have a hardware failure, but with modern drives, it never seemed worth the extra money to bother with. I just use an SSD for my OS and configure it so all programs and user data goes to a mechanical secondary. Now that I think about it, I could've just mounted the secondary drive as a replacement of the Users, Program Files, and Program Files (x86) directories, but it's less fun. ^^'

I wish you well with your new machine. Looks like it could easily crush my computer, and mine wasn't cheap (for having built it myself0. :)
Please bare in mind that no individual is all-knowing on anything.  Take the advice and knowledge of everyone and make your own knowledge database.

10-12-2014, 01:01 AM #3
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

@Pred Finally, congrats buddy if you were living here i would have given you some parts from my old build that I don't need anymore :/

@DDAoN Your Radeon 5970 is much faster than a R7 240 lol
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

10-12-2014, 10:54 AM #4
Predator
Staff
Moderators

r7 240 isn't the greatest at all, but I'm used to a Radeon 3400HD so the 240 is blazing fast to me. Games are actually playable, and can reach med-high.

Question... Replace my old 19" dell VGA monitor with a new 21.5" HDMI monitor, buy a R9 280x, buy a SSD, or 8 more GB of ram?

10-12-2014, 12:46 PM #5
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

As always just my opinion on things - listen to other people as well :P

[spoiler=Lots of text...]

If you're getting a new screen with a higher resolution you have to take into account that games will run a little slower if you choose to use the native resolution (which I highly recommend - interpolation is ewwww), on the other hand medium settings in games with HDMI might look better than high settings seen via VGA, so it could be worth it. A bigger screen is definitely awesome.

New GPU, always a good investment, as long as it'll survive a few years. My GTX670 is apparently similar to the R9 280x, and it's been doing a good job over the last three years, still running games on high settings (even at 4k resolution!), and I'm confident it'll work well for at least another 2-3 years. So it might be a good idea for you to upgrade.

An SSD is nice, but in the end not worth it if the rest of the computer can't keep up. Of course, Win 7 will boot within a minute and is ready to use. However if you think about games, shorter loading times are cool, but personally I'd prefer performance while playing and rather wait another 60 seconds. ;)

More RAM is also nice, I myself have 16GB, but rarely find myself using it to it's fullest. Exceptions are Photoshop or video editing. So for now 8GB should be plenty and a new GPU should help game performance more than RAM.[/spoiler]
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

10-13-2014, 07:39 AM #6
DDAoN
Master o' da Interwebs

The R7 240 may not be the most powerful, but it is newer, and less worn out than my HD 5970. Then, with a little tweeking and proper configurations, it'll run just as well. :P

[spoiler=Here's my jimo:]As for the monitors, it's a bit of a two-edged sword. My experience has been that graphics cards tend to perform better with a resolution in the range of what they were designed for (1080p, 720p, 1080i, etc.). When you start rendering resolutions higher or lower than their original intent, it hurts the performance of the card. It's not likely to be a noticeable difference, but it may still happen.

In regards to the RAM, I'd say it depends on what you run. I have a full 32 GB of DDR3, but I also run, on average, 2 VM servers and whatever web development softwares I need for a project (Photoshop and Dreamweaver being the most common). Then there is the stuff many users don't think about, security software. Many take up a lot of resources to be as powerful as they are (don't get me wrong, I love my Norton, but it's a hog). Any system-related utilities you use in the background, even the type of browsers you use! It all adds up quickly, but most don't run a whole lot themselves at any one time. If you're a heavy gamer that plays movies on a second monitor while you dish out a few headshots with all the glorious lighting and effects, maybe 8 GB isn't for you and you should go with 16 GB. Though, if you only do one memory-heavy activity at a time, there should be no reason to upgrade it for now.[/spoiler]

Bare in mind, I claim nothing to my knowledge of computer hardware. I'm an Internet Programmer that fiddles with hardware when I have a couple thousand dollars (only happened once :().
This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 07:39 AM by DDAoN.
Please bare in mind that no individual is all-knowing on anything.  Take the advice and knowledge of everyone and make your own knowledge database.

10-14-2014, 12:09 AM #7
Predator
Staff
Moderators

I'm going to fiddle around with my 32" TV tomorrow to see if I find it usable for my PC. I personally think that much screen is way too much but who knows, I might like it. I have my old PC attached to it with the intent of using it to download/play movies.. Maybe even completely phase-out my Xbox and stream Netflix on it.

10-15-2014, 01:36 PM #8
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Added 32inch monitor as primary and crossfired the 7660 integrated graphics with my 240

10-21-2015, 12:12 PM #9
Predator
Staff
Moderators

Update time!

I had this PC for a few months before upgrading to a GTX 760.. Shortly after I upgraded to the x97 chipset with an i7-4790k. Throw in 2x 120gb SSDs in RAID 0 and a 4gb WD Black, and I was good to go for awhile.

Until my most recent purchase a few months ago....

R9 390x :)

10-22-2015, 11:49 PM #10
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

How is the new graphics card? I don't do any computer gaming so I am always happy with the regular card that comes with my PC. :P