Work In Progress - RackBuilder Tool

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

11-08-2014, 12:11 AM #1
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

Work In Progress - RackBuilder Tool
I'm working on a project which helps assist in rack layout for my work. Essentially I wanted to get this tool to store and record information about the size of certain equipment, as well as information about that equipment and device specific requirements stored as notes for every device pulled into a *project* (a particular rack 'space'). This includes notes down to how many bannana plugs are required for the speaker terminals on the back of a receiver, antennas, adapters, converters, any power supplies, etc... And information about general practice and routine when it comes to first/initial configuration when assembling a rack perhaps.

The utility will get to the point hopefully where I can easily modify a database of equipment and create or load rack templates that automatically pull in certain equipment and place them in specific spots within a rack. The rest will be drag and drop operations to move equipment around within the rack and add or remove equipment from the rack. I think it will help significantly in the layout when assembling racks as well as take away any of the hassle for having to remember all of the little things about each specific piece of equipment going into a rack to boost efficiency.

Here's what I've got so far:

The code currently consists of the equipment collection, indexing and bounds checking for available spots where certain equipment can fit based on the position of other equipment mounted to the rack, and other informational containers are also created.

Still lots to do.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

11-08-2014, 02:14 AM #2
Lee Stevens

RE: Work In Progress - RackBuilder Tool
Ace, being in this field i love it! I've seen a few PHP scripts around but none in .net. i hope you keep with this project and share the source would be awesome!

11-08-2014, 10:51 AM #3
BreShiE
Knowledge Is Power

Looking good Ace, would love to see the finished project. How long do you reckon it's going to take you to finish? Looks like quite a big project.

"It was pretty impressive to watch a missile fly down an air vent, but couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people?"

11-08-2014, 12:21 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

If I add everything that is planned, it could take a while. I might even transform the diagram into a 3D representation of a rack, because I might include more in terms of equipment details such as equipment depth, and MAYBE (**not sure yet**) even I/O data for what cables need to be hooked up, and cooling requirements which would include algorithms to check and make recommendations on how far it should be away from certain equipment... Typically amplifiers get really hot because of the transformer inside them for power, so you don't want them near any cable boxes or other devices which need to keep cooler temperatures.

I haven't planned everything out yet, but I might as well take it a step further while I'm creating this...

edit: I wrote a dummy equipment object to add to the rack and I now have hover information and a rack unit mouse hover selection indicator (blue bar)
This post was last modified: 11-08-2014, 12:26 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

11-08-2014, 01:37 PM #5
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Nice! Our network team needs something like this!

They're currently using Excel sheets to hold rack information. No fun updating, creating is even less... Which is why they're always outdated. Good thing I don't have to do that anymore.
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

11-24-2014, 04:21 PM #6
crimefire

lovely i was looking exactly same