New Theme

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

02-27-2015, 03:26 AM #1
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

New Theme
Greetings everyone!

We've just moved to a new theme. I hope you like it! There are bugs here and there that we are working out as well as some issues with plugins. If you notice anything out of order please let us know. I'll be updating this thread periodically.

We went with this new theme in order to easier transition to MyBB 1.8. We plan on fixing some of the cosmetic issues with our old theme and offering it as an option for those that still prefer the old look.

New Theme known issues:
- Font Icon issues on New Thread and Replying
- Font Icon issues with stars
- Contact us link at the bottom needs an actual contact page
- Fix Black theme
- Fix spoiler issue
- Fix line spacing issue
- Look at the font issue (Mazzn's report)
This post was last modified: 04-26-2015, 10:27 AM by AceInfinity. Edit Reason: Fixed contact link

03-01-2015, 04:41 AM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: New Theme
Looks good so far :)

I noticed that the full reply no longer has the emoticons or edit menu for BBCode though. It's just a plain textbox with no expandable corner "grip" too.

edit: Another thing, I don't see a usercp.php link anywhere, I see links to the usercp but just specific locations of the usercp to edit options and whatnot. I do see the modcp and admincp links though. I'm thinking that the UserCP link should go above the "My Profile" link in the dropdown in the top left.

edit: Hmm, the full edit for a post does contain the Smilies box, but they still aren't clickable to add them to the post message... We've missed this functionality for a while.

I'll look into a few of these things when I have some time perhaps tomorrow.
This post was last modified: 03-01-2015, 05:03 AM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-02-2015, 06:11 PM #3
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Will have to get used to it, but I can see that happening quickly :)

Few things I noticed so far:
The line spacing in the editor is quite big for me, at least twice as much as I'd expect to see. Also it seems to use the default font of your browser, which makes me uncomfortable :P Should rather use the same font the forum's using everywhere else.
(Actually the least line spacing apparently fixes itself once one hits "Preview Post" and the WYSIWYG kicks in.)

Another thing is the black theme. I'll let the image speak:

[Image: wYXYqPZ.png]

Last but not least:
[spoiler=I think spoilers are broken]
Yup.
[/spoiler]
This post was last modified: 03-02-2015, 06:12 PM by Mazzn.
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

03-04-2015, 10:32 PM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Thanks for the info! I'll get them added to the list and get it sorted out soon.

03-05-2015, 06:49 PM #5
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

I made the TechLifeForum logo/text clickable to get back to the board index.

edit: Added a spoiler tag:

Hello world!

Also Mazzn, I think that linespace issue is related to the font that you're being defaulted to.
This post was last modified: 03-05-2015, 07:18 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-06-2015, 12:09 AM #6
Predator
Staff
Moderators

It's different.. But I like it

03-06-2015, 01:47 AM #7
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Love being able to click the logo! So I'm not the only one who kept clicking it...

Spoilers are nice to have ;)

And I'm wondering why it does default to said font, shouldn't it use whatever is actually going to be used in the post?
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

03-06-2015, 08:35 PM #8
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

Yes, I used to always use the Logo to click on and get back to the forum home. :) Mazzn, can you open up an inspector and show us what font it defaults to? It could even be browser settings, the body element in the CSS is defined to default to a few fonts.

These are all hardcoded into global.css:
Code:
font-family: "Segoe UI", "Trebuchet MS", "Helvetica Neue", "Vedrana", "Arial", sans-serif;

So it's not a mistake that Segoe UI may be chosen. However, we could switch over to a nice Google font in the future... I do think that the current font suits the whole metro style quite nicely although. The metro style incorporates font that doesn't have any fancy pigtails on y's and other curved letters.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2015, 08:38 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-08-2015, 05:31 AM #9
Null
Moderators

The new theme looks nice. It'll take some getting used to on my part. But it has promise. Awesome work guys  cheers.

Some small things I noticed:
  1. The UI looks good but the UX is bad. I have to hover my cursor over almost every link to learn it's purpose - the purpose of a link is not immediately clear when looking at the icon alone - the purpose of links and buttons can be difficult to ascertain. I am sure I will get used to this. But I imagine new members will find this counter productive. Here is an example: As I wrote this post I had to hover over both list-like icons to know which one is an ordered list and which is an unordered list. Another example: The login icon looks more like a log out icon! And the login and logout icons are the same (their icon is an external link icon which, in my opinion, makes little sense). 
  2. The "View New Posts" link in the header results in an error.  Since posting this post, it no longer results in an error. (I should have noted the precise error, sorry.)
  3. When I click the post editor in Chrome (the new post editor, not the quick editor ) - the cursor is invisible. It comes back eventually but it can be a little disorientating. 
  4. The text editor has a serif font but the rest of the theme is sans serif  (again, on Chrome and in the new post editor) - it looks out of place. 
  5. I wanted to see Mazzn's threads from his profile but I could not figure out how. It would be nice if when you clicked the "Threads" count on a user's profile you were linked to a list of their threads. Similarly, when you click on the "Posts" count, it would be nice if you were linked to that user's posts, and so on. (Inb4 there is a simple way to do this already that I missed.)
This post was last modified: 03-08-2015, 05:39 AM by Null.

03-08-2015, 10:54 AM #10
Florin
Team Reboot

Yeah, It's nice. I wonder why I feel like ... touchscreen, touch touch touch and Windows Phone 8 tiles :D