New Theme

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

03-08-2015, 01:27 PM #11
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: New Theme
(03-08-2015, 05:31 AM)ByteBlast Wrote:  The new theme looks nice. It'll take some getting used to on my part. But it has promise. Awesome work guys  cheers.

Some small things I noticed:
  1. The UI looks good but the UX is bad. I have to hover my cursor over almost every link to learn it's purpose - the purpose of a link is not immediately clear when looking at the icon alone - the purpose of links and buttons can be difficult to ascertain. I am sure I will get used to this. But I imagine new members will find this counter productive. Here is an example: As I wrote this post I had to hover over both list-like icons to know which one is an ordered list and which is an unordered list. Another example: The login icon looks more like a log out icon! And the login and logout icons are the same (their icon is an external link icon which, in my opinion, makes little sense). 
  2. The "View New Posts" link in the header results in an error.  Since posting this post, it no longer results in an error. (I should have noted the precise error, sorry.)
  3. When I click the post editor in Chrome (the new post editor, not the quick editor ) - the cursor is invisible. It comes back eventually but it can be a little disorientating. 
  4. The text editor has a serif font but the rest of the theme is sans serif  (again, on Chrome and in the new post editor) - it looks out of place. 
  5. I wanted to see Mazzn's threads from his profile but I could not figure out how. It would be nice if when you clicked the "Threads" count on a user's profile you were linked to a list of their threads. Similarly, when you click on the "Posts" count, it would be nice if you were linked to that user's posts, and so on. (Inb4 there is a simple way to do this already that I missed.)

The "error" with the View New Links thing I've never seen, but it won't return any results when newer posts don't exist. Posts posted within a certain timeframe are different than new posts. As for viewing posts, if you click the "Profile Stats" navigator menu button on the left, it'll bring up a new pane on the right in the content area where you can choose between viewing a user's posts or threads.

I'll look into the ease-of-use-for-navigation issue with the UI, and the post editor in Chrome. I haven't really noticed any fonts issues though. :S The only thing I've seen so far which bothers me is the inability to resize the textfields for posting content within Firefox.. At the time of writing this post right now, I'm not sure if the same issue exists on other browsers or if I just have to change the page source around a bit to add this "feature." It could be an issue with the browser that I'm using; compatibility problems, but I'll need to investigate. (edit: Fixed)

edit: ByteBlast I'm not seeing this disappearing cursor issue anywhere in Chrome. Do you have the latest version installed? Have you tried reinstalling your browser?

edit: I included font awesome into our header, so I could choose a more appropriate logout icon. Previously it was not the login and logout icons that were similar, but rather the register and logout icons. It should be better now. I also changed the metro color-changer button from the cog (which would mean to me "settings") over to an eye-dropper icon which is much better, along with the PM button over to a dialog *bubble*. These should be much much easier to understand.

(03-08-2015, 10:54 AM)Florin Wrote:  Yeah, It's nice. I wonder why I feel like ... touchscreen, touch touch touch and Windows Phone 8 tiles :D

Haha, this made me laugh. I actually have a touchscreen laptop, so it's perfect. :) lol
This post was last modified: 03-08-2015, 02:05 PM by AceInfinity. Edit Reason: Fixed textarea resize CSS

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-08-2015, 04:11 PM #12
Null
Moderators

I can see some improvements to the icons - nice one. The log in and log out icons are now identical which is also confusing, in my opinion.

(Ugh. The "Video" button is a camera which threw me off - I thought that would be for embedding images.)

I recorded a video to show you that (1) the font is serif and (2) cursor is not always visible. The video also shows (3) that I am using the latest iteration of Google Chrome. (I am not going to re-install Chrome at this time - no one should have to do that. Sorry.)

I also encountered a random issue with the login modal which is demonstrated  at the beginning of the video. 

Sorry if anyone perceives me to be negative. I am positive about the whole thing really. I'm just offering constructive feedback. 
This post was last modified: 03-08-2015, 04:12 PM by Null.

03-08-2015, 10:20 PM #13
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

The login and logout buttons are not identical. The login button has an arrow pointing in towards the bracket, the logout button has an arrow pointing "out" instead. You can use your video as reference to see this. I think it should be fine though because they will never see both buttons at the same time. If they are already logged in, the text at the top along with all of the other buttons should indicate that they are already logged in too and should not need to login again. :)

Yes, that's true, but if it's an issue with your browser you should have to reinstall unfortunately. I've tested with chrome and I don't see the issue that you're having..

I'd suggest for you to try and clear your history/cache/etc... Then see if it persists, otherwise you might have to reinstall your browser. I've tried again with the exact same process as your video and everything seemed fine. I tried multiple times.

If others notice the same issues or can reproduce them then I'll look into it further. If this issue can't be reproduced then it's more likely to be an issue with your environment and not the website itself -- I can't fix that unfortunately.
This post was last modified: 03-08-2015, 11:07 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-09-2015, 04:45 AM #14
Null
Moderators

I can now see that the log in and log out icons are not identical. As is evident from my earlier comment, at a glance, they do appear to be the same. This makes my points pertaining to the user experience equally valid in my view.

I appreciate that the user will never see both buttons at the same time - you make a good point. All I will say to that is: I have always associated the icon in question with logging out. Here the icon is used to log in which was confusing to me.

That is exactly what you should do (see if anyone else can reproduce). I am writing this from my laptop and the text editor problems happen here too.. I would count that as 2 reports  Wink2. I also tried the editor out in IE and the problems exist there too. 

Out of interest, what does the editor look like on your machine? I am running on Windows 8.1. What about you? 

If anyone else has similar problems, I can provide more information. Otherwise - even though I doubt it - we can assume it's a problem with my environment. 

Update: I forgot to talk about the user profile view. Thank you for showing me how to view a list of user threads. I would still prefer it if clicking the thread count took me to the same view. In the mean time, I would also re-word the label "Threads search", as that label suggests that you search according to a search term. "Browse threads" makes more sense in my opinion.
This post was last modified: 03-09-2015, 04:55 AM by Null.

03-09-2015, 04:51 AM #15
Null
Moderators

Could the first error be of relevance? 

03-09-2015, 10:33 AM #16
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Is this sufficient? (Click for larger image)

[Image: WCvZTJo.png]

After getting out of the inspector it fixed itself... Weird.

//Edit: I just checked, the font is in fact the default browser font. Not really an issue. Also the large line spacing disappears after simply typing some text, hitting CTRL+A and deleting it all again. Then everything is fine...
This post was last modified: 03-09-2015, 10:36 AM by Mazzn.
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

03-09-2015, 06:18 PM #17
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

I'm using Windows 10. I don't have any of the editor from my view. I'll have to look at this later, no time today.

This post was last modified: 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

03-10-2015, 10:31 AM #18
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Windows 10 / Firefox 36.0.1 for me. I see all of the editor icons.

03-13-2015, 07:51 AM #19
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Sorry for the double post, thought I'd let you know of another small bug:
When reporting a post, after clicking "Report Post" the theme color selection pops up when the "Thank you for your report" popup is being shown.

03-13-2015, 10:34 PM #20
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

edit: I was able to reproduce that issue. Thanks for reporting it Mazzn. I think KoBE needs to review these things and get in contact with the theme developer to inquire about fixing some things. IMO we shouldn't be held responsible for fixing this many issues. It should just be minor customizations for the most part, not fixing issues with functionality, that's not right..
This post was last modified: 03-13-2015, 10:37 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲