View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Is TLF officially dead?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

08-30-2015, 12:40 PM #1
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Is TLF officially dead?
It might come off rude as I haven't been active in here, but being one of the first members here (the 15th excluding the "Admin" account), I just wanna know if there's something we can do to bring this site back, is there anything we can do? :( 
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

08-31-2015, 12:23 PM #2
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

RE: Is TLF officially dead?
HG, nice to hear from you. Ace and I both post from time to time, however activity as you've said has been really low. Partly due to Ace and I both being busy and partly due to members not being active. Activity kind of compounds; as there is activity, more people will see and perhaps post. What made TLF more active in the past was multiple members posting various content instead of few members posting select content.

TLF can still be revived. It would take a little bit of work but it is manageable.
This post was last modified: 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM by KoBE.

08-31-2015, 03:43 PM #3
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

I'm actually checking the forum almost every day, but I'm too busy to pursue any projects myself and don't have answers to any posts that would add value... Depending on how work treats me I might have some time to post stuff, I got a Pebble two weeks ago on my vacation in the States and would love to code a nice watchface for myself which I'd also show off on TLF - but my spare time is too limited right now :(
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

09-03-2015, 07:23 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

The forum is not "dead" until the hosting becomes inactive or we don't have the domain anymore. Our forum niche is going to be around for a long time. It's not like this is a forum about Windows 98, but if that topic arises in some thread, it's still welcome here. :)

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-04-2015, 05:27 AM #5
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Well can you maybe send an automated message to all registered members emails telling them that they haven't been around in a while and they're missed or something?

09-04-2015, 07:11 PM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

That would bring them here initially, but I think it would be better to send that out after we make a few updates to the forum, rather than to have them visit a forum that doesn't have much change and not as much activity currently. Granted, there is a new theme that some members might have not seen yet, but there were a few things I wanted to add and fix first.

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-05-2015, 06:34 AM #7
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Then lets have a plan and follow with it, I will help with any way possible.

09-05-2015, 03:51 PM #8
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Emailing registered members is something that works on our side. Basically writing something short and meaningful where they can participate.

For example, whenever someone posts a new script or tool, that is usually something worth mentioning and that most people reading the email won't consider as abusive.

Also, we can use the reboot mailing list to bring people over here. A tool related to security and Windows exclusively published here would likely be a good approach because readers on our mailing list would then bounce the news over other forum sites, with a link to the topic where the tool can be downloaded.
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

09-05-2015, 08:13 PM #9
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(09-05-2015, 03:51 PM)Nuno Brito Wrote:  Emailing registered members is something that works on our side. Basically writing something short and meaningful where they can participate.

For example, whenever someone posts a new script or tool, that is usually something worth mentioning and that most people reading the email won't consider as abusive.

Also, we can use the reboot mailing list to bring people over here. A tool related to security and Windows exclusively published here would likely be a good approach because readers on our mailing list would then bounce the news over other forum sites, with a link to the topic where the tool can be downloaded.

I have always been curious, and I figure as a site grows the more convenient it is to automate such tasks rather than relying on human interaction to determine whether an email gets sent out or not -- do you guys have a plugin for your forum software that does this, or is there someone responsible for manually handpicking various new releases of tools that have been promoted on your forum to be mentioned in an outgoing email?

I've been wanting to start a new free open source project lately, and I'm near the point where I can actually put 100% of my focus into it.

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-15-2015, 02:32 PM #10
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Hi Ace,

Great minds think alike. I've actually did wrote a plugin to fetch the most popular posts per section and then output a nice looking list.

There was only one problem that I wasn't counting on. People on the mailing list enjoyed the human factor and short format of the old messages. When sending the automatically generated list, we got people complaining and our email reported as spam to providers.

So, didn't worked (at least for our context). Nowadays, when there is a post worthy of attention I write about it and send an email. Albeit a few thousands get the same email, it still feels very human and connected to the reason why they registered on the board in the first place.

NormalSmile
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)