View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Coding Challenge Ideas

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

06-23-2011, 10:16 AM #1
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Coding Challenge Ideas
So, to go with ThePrince's idea of having a Coding Contest. I thought it would be a good idea to make it a "Challenge" instead. That way everyone that completes the challenge is a winner. It will give less experienced coders a chance to see how other people complete a certain task.

Everyone that completes it will be a winner.
We should see a many different ways to complete a specific task, which is helpful when trying to develop a programming mindset.

So, post ideas on an application you think would be sort of a challenge, but not ridiculously hard. We should keep the first one simple, and move on to harder ones later. Or, perhaps have two challenges in one. The first one being easier. While the second part be a more difficult addition to the main program. Let's get ideas. Please keep try to keep this thread as on-topic as possible. wink

06-23-2011, 10:30 AM #2
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

RE: Coding Challenge Ideas
Even though i told you about that idea in a PM long time ago :D
I Vouch for this :)
This post was last modified: 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM by Sam Baker.
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

06-23-2011, 11:05 AM #3
ThePrinCe

Yeah xD, and the Task will be choosed by a vote.

06-23-2011, 11:06 AM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

06-23-2011, 11:19 AM #5
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

General Idea :
Make a forum for the contests
An Admin makes a thread for The idea of this month project
In Sub Folder people apply "And please don't tell me we don't need more section because we do :neutral:"
And every thread has a poll with Yes/No
Or add a new voting system for the contest like the Thank you button but instead i Vouch button
Voting System :
Admin : 3 points
TFL Coders Group members : 2 points
Regular Member : 1 point
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

06-23-2011, 06:38 PM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

No need for a any other forums at this point in my opinion, we still need to get somewhere with all of the other updates we've done with the site like groups, promotion, and a few others, awards are still in that list as well. They won't be given out as generously from now on too

The purpose of this thread is to get others involved in the decisions for a challenge also.

Quote:And please don't tell me we don't need more section because we do

No we don't really, the forums are barely active enough, adding more wouldn't be beneficial. Later possibly, but doing everything at once is silly. It's the same impression I get when I visit a newly created forum, and they already have their entire site laid out into tabs with 30-40 different forum areas. You can tell who doesn't know what their doing, or anyone new to creating a forum when you see that.

I think the process would take a lot longer than it should if we were to make an entire system out of it though. Better to just get something started. It's mainly for more activity and encouragement in this area of the forum, nothing more. And a demonstration/bragging rights to say that you've completed the challenge set in front of you.

We already have a thank you related system on the forum, adding anything more would require a plugin, as no simple forum template edit could achieve that. Use reputation when it's needed, otherwise don't hand it out, we only need one type of recognition system here, and if it's used effectively it'll work, we already have awards, groups, and reputation.

The voting system is irrelevant as well in my mind. I don't see how myself being an admin would make my vote worth anymore when it really comes down to things, according to a final decision for a challenge. We're all related in terms of willingness to learn, code, and show off some applications.

Start posting some ideas that relate to a challenge though, this isn't the thread to post voting systems, he's only looking for ideas on challenges now I believe.

My idea: Maybe a notification display manager?

[Something that will keep in your system tray on startup if necessary, and use the system time to display any user configured notifications. For example: I input that I want a message to notify me when I have to get ready for a meeting at 8:00pm, then it will popup with a notification Message and/or sound telling me when it's that time.]
This post was last modified: 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

06-23-2011, 06:48 PM #7
Deltron

I don't think a specific task should be given out, simply because some users not be able to complete it. I think every member that participates should submit their own application, and the winner would be determined by the uniqueness and creativity of the program.

06-23-2011, 07:38 PM #8
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(06-23-2011, 06:48 PM)Deltron Wrote:  I don't think a specific task should be given out, simply because some users not be able to complete it. I think every member that participates should submit their own application, and the winner would be determined by the uniqueness and creativity of the program.

What about people submitting old work though? I could re-submit my Notepad app if I didn't already shocase it around here lol

▲
 ▲ ▲

06-23-2011, 07:40 PM #9
Deltron

We can give a general topic.

06-23-2011, 07:51 PM #10
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(06-23-2011, 07:40 PM)Deltron Wrote:  We can give a general topic.

That would be similar to an idea for a challenge though wouldn't it? I would agree with your earlier point, but we could make the challenges a range of basic things the program at hand needs to be able to do. Then the advanced users would have a set of tasks that they are expected to have with their programs. Yet people aren't labeled Advanced or beginner before they start a program. It's their achievement in the end, and what level they get up to is just an extra feeling of achievement.

▲
 ▲ ▲