View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Hey!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10-03-2016, 01:00 PM #1
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Hey!
What's up everyone? I've been RIDICULOUSLY busy. I haven't had a chance to go through the site just yet but I'll respond to any messages shortly.

A quick update on my end:
I've been working my butt off. I've started a business earlier this year and it's really starting to take off. I've been working 60-80 hours/week for a over a year now with no signs of slowing down.

How is everyone doing? Anyone looking for development work? Hit me up in PM and I can hook you up with some details.

10-03-2016, 02:42 PM #2
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

RE: Hey!
Whoa, KoBE's alive! :)

I've been doing well, just went through two weeks of SAP training, (re)learning object oriented programming in ABAP. I'm finally an actual employed developer, woo :P Even though it's not what I imagined myself doing at this point I really like it.

Awesome, you've got your own business up and running! Sounds like a great accomplishment, I don't think I'd be able to do that myself. Congratulations on that ;) Hope you're doing good yourself despite being so busy!
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

10-03-2016, 05:16 PM #3
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

Starting and growing a business is probably one of the best opportunities out there if you can develop it into something over time properly. That's awesome to hear KoBE :) I'm always looking for developer work ahah.

I've been busy working on automation programming around my city here on bigger jobs and corporate spaces, along with fixing other people's code lol.
This post was last modified: 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

10-13-2016, 03:00 PM #4
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

Glad to hear from you guys!

What kind of development you doing Maazn? And the business side of things is pretty crazy. Programming is the easy part. Running the business and trying to program can drive you crazy.. :D SAP, like the inventory/distributing type application? We had a class on that in college.

Ace, my man... how you been? Fixing other peoples code was the BEST thing I could do when learning. Now, it's one of the most annoying things I do. Haha, I'm sure you feel the same. What kind of automation stuff? I want to start doing some of that around my house. I just bought my first home so now I can install anything I want without having to worry about the landlord.

10-14-2016, 07:56 AM #5
Mazzn
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Administrators

Quote:SAP, like the inventory/distributing type application?

Yep, that one. My job is programming and customizing for the material management module as well as supporting my key users in several logistics-related departments from a technical point of view. Also getting involved in several projects like introducing an automated commissioning machine which will receive orders from and send receipts to SAP - cool stuff actually!

Quote:Programming is the easy part. Running the business and trying to program can drive you crazy..

Yeah, I can imagine that! :P

Oh yeah, on the topic of fixing other people's code: half of the programs here must be from 1997. My predecessor also never really learned how to program, nor was he really interested in it, so he tried to avoid it when possible... Bad coding aside it's so much depricated and obsolete stuff that I can barely understand it!
This post was last modified: 10-14-2016, 08:00 AM by Mazzn.
Visit me at mazzn.net & blog.mazzn.net!
//This is very important :)

Self.KeepImproving(true);

10-14-2016, 07:17 PM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(10-13-2016, 03:00 PM)KoBE Wrote:  Glad to hear from you guys!

What kind of development you doing Maazn? And the business side of things is pretty crazy. Programming is the easy part. Running the business and trying to program can drive you crazy.. :D SAP, like the inventory/distributing type application? We had a class on that in college.

Ace, my man... how you been? Fixing other peoples code was the BEST thing I could do when learning. Now, it's one of the most annoying things I do. Haha, I'm sure you feel the same. What kind of automation stuff? I want to start doing some of that around my house. I just bought my first home so now I can install anything I want without having to worry about the landlord.

I don't know what kind of setup you've got, but for small business stuff, the cloud is amazing because it allows you to create backups anywhere, and it's accessible from virtually anywhere. That's why I liked SAAS.

In terms of the automation I do, pretty much everything. Most commonly, executive and corporate conference rooms. An example of a system would be integrating with codecs for A/V conferencing, controlling cameras, displays, lights, blinds, screens, mic levels, speaker output levels, room modes, and giving them all this functionality through UI devices like touchscreens that are mounted on the walls or sit on tables, or even iPhones and iPads.

A recent system I did was integrating with a Windows Server to allow a touchpanel to pull data in from meetings booked via and Outlook plugin, to automatically start recordings from an observation room (one-sided mirror setup), along with display meeting information on the touchscreen, and give them control of cameras and whatnot.

Over the time I've been doing these systems there's not a whole lot I haven't seen, controlled, or haven't done.

If you're looking for a cheap solution that you can manage, I can help you out on how controlling some of these kinds of devices, otherwise you'll be using a system like Control4, or Crestron and while Control4 is decent if you get an integrator that knows what they are doing (there were few in my city and I ended up fixing lots of those systems), it's still going to cost you $15,000 for a minimal system, but it is scalable. This is about 1/5th the cost of the equivalent Crestron system however, and finding a dealer is tough too and will be expensive. AMX is another brand, and it's up there with Crestron too. I'm currently working with Crestron systems.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲