View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Security Freeware Software!

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

09-21-2011, 05:12 PM #11
Spirit
One with Spirits

RE: Security Freeware Software!
(09-21-2011, 04:30 PM)Deltron Wrote:  
(09-21-2011, 04:42 AM)Earl Wrote:  Great thread...
I've been using Comodo for over a year, I can only recommend it... and Avira is my personal favorite AV, though I haven't really tested others, so this thread is book'd...

The combination of those two are widely popular. They are truly effective, especially if configured.

Didn't knew that, lol... As said I havent tried anything besides those two, well and of course Notron (which I hate)....

I really loved using comodo's suite, it had everything I was looking for and it was easy on the RAM and CPU, same goes for avira, but that's the thing I just don't trust Comd's AV that's why Avira is still in use, I guess that it's not actually needed.

09-21-2011, 08:05 PM #12
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(09-21-2011, 05:12 PM)Earl Wrote:  
(09-21-2011, 04:30 PM)Deltron Wrote:  
(09-21-2011, 04:42 AM)Earl Wrote:  Great thread...
I've been using Comodo for over a year, I can only recommend it... and Avira is my personal favorite AV, though I haven't really tested others, so this thread is book'd...

The combination of those two are widely popular. They are truly effective, especially if configured.

Didn't knew that, lol... As said I havent tried anything besides those two, well and of course Notron (which I hate)....

I really loved using comodo's suite, it had everything I was looking for and it was easy on the RAM and CPU, same goes for avira, but that's the thing I just don't trust Comd's AV that's why Avira is still in use, I guess that it's not actually needed.

You mentioned CPU and RAM usage in the same post as "Notron" (Norton?) so i'm assuming thats why you dislike it. Notron is bad, but "Norton" is good :)

You need to have used version 2010 or 2011 (and even 2012) to know that it's improved though. Any version below that, and especially 2008 were big memory hogs. But the latest releases aren't bad at all, and rated one of the best AV's as of May 2011 when the last report came out from AV Comparatives.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-22-2011, 10:17 AM #13
Spirit
One with Spirits

(09-21-2011, 08:05 PM)Ace Wrote:  You mentioned CPU and RAM usage in the same post as "Notron" (Norton?) so i'm assuming thats why you dislike it. Notron is bad, but "Norton" is good :)

You need to have used version 2010 or 2011 (and even 2012) to know that it's improved though. Any version below that, and especially 2008 were big memory hogs. But the latest releases aren't bad at all, and rated one of the best AV's as of May 2011 when the last report came out from AV Comparatives.

LOL, I didn't knew that Notron actually existed, it was a typo, this laptop keyboard is dying on me, I need a hammer in order to type. Anyway, I meant Norton and it was 08 since I last used it, I then never installed it again, and also deleted it from every system I came in touch with it. Also, to get things straight, I'm not saying it sucks, just in my opinion it's just like ICQ, way too heavy for a normal usage, well as said it was a while, I don't talk really about the current releases as I don't know nothing about them, and never will, because I don't support paid AV services.... It's either free or it's free(pirated).... ;)

09-22-2011, 11:59 AM #14
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I also delete Norton off any system I get my hands on. I'll admit I haven't tested it since probably '06, but that's because I remove it before I even get a chance to see it. I don't like how it comes pre-installed on systems and is a witch to uninstall to the 'average' computer user then expects them to buy it. There are so many free alternatives that work just as well if not better, I don't see a point in using an AV such as Norton.

09-22-2011, 02:47 PM #15
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

(09-22-2011, 11:59 AM)KoBE Wrote:  I also delete Norton off any system I get my hands on. I'll admit I haven't tested it since probably '06, but that's because I remove it before I even get a chance to see it. I don't like how it comes pre-installed on systems and is a ***** to uninstall to the 'average' computer user then expects them to buy it. There are so many free alternatives that work just as well if not better, I don't see a point in using an AV such as Norton.

I fully agree. I hate Norton a LOT. I also hate AVG. But I think that's just me. AVG is well liked by others.

09-22-2011, 06:04 PM #16
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

Yeah see, people hold grudges against Norton because of their previous versions lol, you guys here haven't tested 2010, 11, or 12 yet. It's a great AV, and people who use AVG don't know anything about computer security with AV's as far as i'm concerned, it doesn't protect anything...

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲