Hello There, Guest!
View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Virus Removal Help

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

06-06-2011, 09:39 PM #1
BuhRock

Virus Removal Help
For the time being, I will be helping all members with virus removals. I won't require you to post any logs, that's just ridiculous.

06-06-2011, 09:53 PM #2
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: Virus Removal Help
(06-06-2011, 09:39 PM)BuhRock Wrote:  For the time being, I will be helping all members with virus removals. I won't require you to post any logs, that's just ridiculous.

How are logs ridiculous? they can give more information than a guessing game could provide in most cases. You can have an idea of ways to solve a virus issue, but it's not 100% bulletproof the way logs provide information for you. Both however still come down to the user.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

06-06-2011, 09:55 PM #3
BuhRock

Usually, just running a few programs will completely get rid of the program(s). I do virus removals daily, and I never once read logs in depth. I may browse for a minute or two, but that's it.

06-06-2011, 10:37 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

You're a bit mistaken about just running programs. To take care of a virus in full takes a lot more than program work to do it for you. At least on an advanced level.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

06-06-2011, 11:41 PM #5
BuhRock

The virus' are gone.

06-07-2011, 04:11 AM #6
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

Let me give you a little test
If a computer is infected with a worm and TaskMan/Show Hidden Files/Regedit/CMD/Run/Safe mode is disabled
And your internet is slow but it still working..what kind of programs are you going to use to remove the infection?
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

06-07-2011, 07:22 AM #7
BuhRock

What is your os first of all?

No matter, if it was in real life. I usually boot into Mini XP off of a bootable hirens disk and reset attributes and NTFS permissions. Then I run combofix. If it's Windows XP, I would run Dial-a-fix to restore the .dll's and a program called restore_xp_exe's. After that, I would run malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Then I would run BHO remover and remove all the BHOs. I would make sure all of the files are unhidden if resetting attributes didn't work with a program I have called, "unhide." Then I would run TempFileCleaner by OldTimer.

I have honestly never had a virus that has been so bad that it needed to reformat.

If anything is still left, I would probably run GMER and OTL.

06-07-2011, 01:29 PM #8
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

I don't think I've ever gotten a virus. I've helped plenty of people take care of small virus problems but nothing to crazy. It's definitely easier to avoid getting a virus than it is to remove one.

06-08-2011, 05:07 AM #9
Styx
Meow

I can take care of the analysis with a capable understanding of logs.

Quote:No matter, if it was in real life. I usually boot into Mini XP off of a bootable hirens disk and reset attributes and NTFS permissions.

This isn't a real life situation obviously. So you'll have the online user be troubled with having to download Hiren's BootCD then burning it off a disk, instead of fixing the problem at hand directly. Of course, you cannot do so; your type of "help" concerns witch hunting. Your methods do not directly solve the problem at hand because you do not know the exact infection or problem (seeing as you cannot read logs), which then leads you to the messy using of any tool you can get your hands on.

Quote:Then I run combofix.

Another major flaw. People with no proper training always think ComboFix is safe to use, at all costs. Major mistake.

Quote:If it's Windows XP, I would run Dial-a-fix to restore the .dll's and a program called restore_xp_exe's.

If Dial-a-fix does not remedy the problem; what's next? Using the Windows Recovery disk?

Quote:After that, I would run malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Then I would run BHO remover and remove all the BHOs.

Implying every BHO is an infection. Your lack of knowledge leads to the removal of things that are not harmful for the system.

Quote:I would make sure all of the files are unhidden if resetting attributes didn't work with a program I have called, "unhide." Then I would run TempFileCleaner by OldTimer.

Log-producing scanners can detect these hidden files nicely.

Quote:I have honestly never had a virus that has been so bad that it needed to reformat.

Which means you've never faced anything more than basic viruses. Rootkits, bootkits and polymorphic infections are out of your league.

Quote:If anything is still left, I would probably run GMER and OTL.

Whilst proper helpers would start with those tools. RollEyes

06-08-2011, 07:33 AM #10
BuhRock

I honestly don't care what anyone thinks. I get paid to do these things. If I did them wrong, I wouldn't have my job. I have dealt with boot kits, that's what clean installs are for. Also, I never said I can't read logs, I said I don't like to, it's a waste of time because the infection is always gone. I'm sure someone with an A+, Network+ and a CCNA should be able to use combofix.