View New Posts  |  View Today's Posts
Virus Removal Help

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

06-08-2011, 09:07 AM #11
KoBE
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Global Moderators

RE: Virus Removal Help
I can see both sides on this. If I were helping someone in person I think I would take a route similar to BuhRock. But if I was helping someone out online, I would probably go the log route.

06-08-2011, 09:47 AM #12
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

For me i first try to find the source of the problem by searching for all the *.bat and *.inf files in the main partitions and remove them as usually these have the "persistence" modules that keep the virus alive
Then doing a registry scan and removing the virus registry values to prevent it from running on startup then i restart and get hidden files/regedit etc fix's and then manually search on common places for the virus left overs and then a full virus scan and if it's not running for some reason then i download a program like Regrun to clean after virus infection to make sure everything is like how it's suppose to be
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

06-08-2011, 09:28 PM #13
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

I wouldn't recommend removing all the .bat files you see. Some are used for specific programs, and are important to your system. .bat files aren't malicious by themselves. You should take the time to look through the file first, and see if there's any location entries to an exe or a file that you find suspicious. Then double check that executable's entry.

.inf aren't malicious either, but they can be detected as false positives fairly easily as well. All they do is keep a file running automatically, whether it's on windows startup, or after the file gets terminated. It all depends on what the .inf was coded to do. It may have several references included.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

06-08-2011, 09:49 PM #14
Sam Baker
I LOVE TLF!!!
BSOD Crew

lol i know that's why i said
*.bat and *.inf files in the main partitions
Not sure if you understood what i meant
But i was talking about the files inside the partition itself not in it's sub folders
Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

06-08-2011, 10:18 PM #15
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

(06-08-2011, 09:49 PM)Hell Guardian Wrote:  lol i know that's why i said
*.bat and *.inf files in the main partitions
Not sure if you understood what i meant
But i was talking about the files inside the partition itself not in it's sub folders

That's a little better lol. But still you can see .bat files in the main hard drive or partition as well, some programs generate a .bat file in there for use, and it's not necessarily a negative or a threat to your system.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

06-09-2011, 09:13 AM #16
Styx
Meow

Quote:I'm sure someone with an A+, Network+ and a CCNA should be able to use combofix.

Can you please tell me how many commands or directives does it have? wink I am quite sure those certifications did not teach you a thing or two about ComboFix. Not that I am degrading their prestige, of course. I do understand and respect the effort and knowledge required to pass those.

06-09-2011, 10:36 AM #17
BuhRock

I don't know the commands or directives, but I use it almost daily and it works fine for me.

06-09-2011, 12:47 PM #18
iJoinedQuick
Unregistered

I thought u needed help lulz. I agree with 2 poster, logs can help.

06-09-2011, 05:12 PM #19
Deltron

(06-09-2011, 10:36 AM)BuhRock Wrote:  I don't know the commands or directives, but I use it almost daily and it works fine for me.

I don't understand why you would use ComboFix on a daily basis.

Anyway, a small mistake could render your machine unbootable. I advise to take extreme caution when using the program. It is known as the most powerful malware-removal program.

06-10-2011, 06:27 AM #20
BuhRock

I know, but I've been using it for years now and I've never had it "mess up" a computer that I was doing a virus removal on. The reason I use it daily is because it's one of the best tools.