Now i am become death,The destroyer of worlds ~oppenheimer

08-28-2011, 03:32 PM #12
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators
Posts: 9,733 Threads:1,026 Joined: Jun 2011 Reputation: 76

RE: BSOD Crew Recruitment Thread [Status - Open]
Read This Post Before Making Any Further Arguments and Complaints

I can change the color back to the default color, but arguments about the new group idea can be taken into PM for discussion if there's anything unfair about creating a group.

Right now the only reason I've created the group is because initially when we started this forum, we had the idea of a Security Analysts group. Which really hasn't done that much for the effort put forth into it so far. Members with knowledge about that area are hardly active on our forum at all.

If I decided to create this group. Then ultimately I have control over it because I am active and I do have knowledge about this kind of thing. So it's putting us forward as an alternative to the original idea of our Security Analysts team that we had originally planned. I don't feel that we can just wait around and do nothing, so even if I wasn't admin I would still support this idea.

You're gaming group is a smaller portion of what this forum is really about. Mainly anything that has to do with a tech forum is probably always going to be 80% computers. Excluding any complete game related forums for Xbox or PS3 support. I feel that in order to include others in our forum; perhaps those who DON'T know how to program anything, we need to turn our forum into more of a supportive community as well. Programming here is big, and I love that, but after some thinking, you need to appeal to a wider group. I want to see some more stuff bloom from this forum. So this wasn't just an on the spot decision of mine, I have had some blurry ideas in the past about things that could make our forum stand out.

Lots of people get BSOD's though. And hopefully our new team will be able to show them that you don't have to suffer and lose all your data by doing a complete reinstall of your OS to fix them. We've got a reputation for people coming here for support with the programming areas, and I thought it would be a great idea to expand on that range of support. Look at the post count in our programming sections compared to the rest of the forum lol.

What i'm doing here is giving others a chance to expand their knowledge beyond programming, customizing, networking, and just general computer use.
This post was last modified: 08-28-2011, 03:45 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-05-2011, 11:29 AM #13
Deltron

Username: Deltron
Experience for group: I have a bit of knowledge with malware removal, but nothing related to BSOD's.
Years of dealing with computers: 5+
Have you used any BSOD debugging tools before? None.
Are you a patient and methodical computer user? Sure.
What Contribution(s) Can You Bring to the Group? I'm fairly knowledgeable with computers, and with that, I'm sure I can throw in a bit of information here and there.
Anything Else? I've always wanted to learn how to troubleshoot with minidumps and fix BSOD's. I'll be sure to put in the amounted time and effort for this group to achieve my goal.

09-05-2011, 03:10 PM #14
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

I just noticed we have a knowledgable member with BSOD minidumps who joined the forum. Elmer BeFuddled is from W7Forums, and has been a helpful guy in analysing minidumps there. I'll accept you to the group deltron, but there's tons to learn with minidump analysis as a first note for you, so be prepared to add some valuable knowledge to your brain, and plenty of it :)

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-05-2011, 08:44 PM #15
Deltron

I'm prepared, alright. Just let me know what to do. Cool

09-05-2011, 09:02 PM #16
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

I've been thinking on how to do this, I could post a couple of the logs i've done in the past for people to take a look at.

But one thing I need to do is create a thread that will get people started with all the setup and the tools to be able to debug and analyze minidumps.

I could provide a few test minidump files for people to use, just to take a look at as well.

Also:
-Guides on how to follow a stack trace
-Guides on reading bugcheck codes
-Guides on command lines for bringing up useful information from the debugger tool
etc...

Be prepared to see a load of content on the forum by the end of today. I'm planning on doing the upgrade to the latest MyBB version in approx 4-5 hours when most of the people are offline on the forum, and I will post a few tutorials then, along with possibly a few new programming threads.
This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-05-2011, 09:32 PM #17
Ghoster
٩(◕▽◕)۶

This may not be the thread for this question, but where exactly do the minidumps go?

09-05-2011, 09:53 PM #18
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

(09-05-2011, 09:32 PM)Ghoster Wrote:  This may not be the thread for this question, but where exactly do the minidumps go?

When they are created (you have minidumps enabled), the folder for the minidumps gets created for them to be placed in. Which is in your system directory, usually called "Minidumps" I believe. I haven't had one for a while, but the minidumps are timestamped so multiple minidumps can be created in the folder
This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 09:54 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-06-2011, 01:18 PM #19
Predator
Staff
Moderators

(08-27-2011, 07:04 PM)KoBE Wrote:  
(08-27-2011, 05:12 PM)Hell Guardian Wrote:  You made 2 groups and activated them instantly, Me and other members made a group and you never accepted it even that it was your idea in the first place -.-
Also you said that Groups will NOT have it's unique color and you broke that too -.-

Perks of being an admin...

Your group has had no activity at all. I told you I would activate your group if you would make ONE hq gaming thread... and you never did it. It comes down to dedication. Ace is one of the most dedicated members on here, so obviously by making a group he is going to put effort into it. You get warned for a few posts and you curl up into a shell and quit posting because you think you are being picked on. So obviously we can't have a leader of a group that: (1) doesn't follow simple rules, and (2) doesn't even participate in the success of their own group.

off topic:
Then make me the leader ...
Also you said 2 hq posts =(
Would modding be against the rules?

on topic:

Username: PredatorFtFw
Experience for group: Good at most things windows =p
Years of dealing with computers: 6 (since i was 10)
Have you used any BSOD debugging tools before? No
Are you a patient and methodical computer user? Yes
What Contribution(s) Can You Bring to the Group? Hard work, willing to learn
*Anything Else? Yo yo yo
This post was last modified: 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM by Predator.

09-06-2011, 05:53 PM #20
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

Alright, you're in the group, i'm accepting you via usercp right now and you can change your display group

▲
 ▲ ▲