View New Posts  |  View Recent Posts
Windows 8 BSOD - BAD SYSTEM CONFIG

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

09-19-2011, 03:05 AM #1
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

Windows 8 BSOD - BAD SYSTEM CONFIG
lol! I forced a Windows 8 BSOD today, and this is what came up. In my opinion it looks a little silly, but I guess for the average computer user seeing a keyboard frowning face is supposed to lighten your mood after seeing this BSOD? haha even all of the stop error codes were removed... What a bad idea. If you can't access your computer, then you'll never be able to get to your crash dump if you have them enabled, and without any hint of the error, other than a little tiny description. That only just makes things harder to troubleshoot in my opinion.

This post was last modified: 11-06-2011, 03:46 PM by AceInfinity.

Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Development Site: aceinfinity.net

▲
 ▲ ▲

09-19-2011, 03:10 AM #2
Spirit
One with Spirits

RE: Windows 8 BSOD
Wait, no error codes, no, well there isn't anything of use....
This is really funny from my point of view, as I was telling everyone, Windows isn't that bad because even if it fails totally, it still manages to tell you why.
Guess that ain't the case anymore... I bet once you search for "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO" on bing, you'll get paid solution results...

11-06-2011, 03:34 PM #3
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Yes, too generic. The nice thing was having a number ID, which many times was already too generic.

For example, 0x0000007B

On the other hand, it wouldn't be a bad idea to start creating already forum topics at TLF using as title each of these things like "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO". Given our reputation as authority site on reboot matters, it could rank high on google and bring a lot of visitors aboard the site. The sooner this is done, the better TLF will rank once Windows 8 is made available on the stores and people start googling for help.

That would be nice to see.

:)
This post was last modified: 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM by Nuno Brito.
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

11-06-2011, 03:46 PM #4
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

True, thread titles can act as big keywords, i'll edit the title now

▲
 ▲ ▲

11-06-2011, 03:59 PM #5
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

RE: Windows 8 BSOD - BAD SYSTEM CONFIG
If you like the idea. Perhaps it wouldn't be bad to dedicate a forum section entitled "Windows error codes" and then add a subforum titled with each of the relevant error messages.

This way people can ask questions inside each sub forum or we can add more information about possible causes for each error type.

This brings the advantage that people don't overcrowd one single topic for error type, and that anyone can add relevant info that is later added as sticky to create a sort of encyclopedia of forum knowledge.

----

At the moment, I doubt many sites out there are specializing on this kind of thing and could be a good edge for TLF to stand out from the crowd. Better to get ahead of the game before the dedicated windows forum sites start getting a strong hold of google indexes.

:)
This post was last modified: 11-06-2011, 04:01 PM by Nuno Brito.
Want to help TLF? Place tech.reboot.pro on your signature around the web. Let's help TLF grow! :)

11-06-2011, 04:40 PM #6
AceInfinity
Developer
Administrators

The problem with that is that there's over 250 differen't error messages, and each one has different possibilities that can be seemingly endless, and to figure out a real cause it would require tracing the debug data. I was thinking at first more of an area to provide ALL crash dumps, and then have a group on the forum trained to review the logs and provide information that way in which users can review for possible common bugchecks and possible common solutions.

But I do plan on making this a dedicated part of the forum at some point so that the forum can provide assistance to anyone in need. It's one of the most stressful problems for an everyday computer user that we could help them out with for sure!

Edit: The Windows 8 and Windows 7 crash exceptions and codes are virtually the same though so nothing changed there, just the visual of the screen when the kernel crashes.
This post was last modified: 11-06-2011, 05:02 PM by AceInfinity.

▲
 ▲ ▲

11-06-2011, 06:05 PM #7
Nuno Brito
Team Reboot
Team Reboot

Didn't know that, if they are more than 250 then I completely agree with you... :)

Dedicated forum sections will help, I can help by mentioning them on the weekly newsletters to see if we can get more people keeping them busy. :)